Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Soup, bread and brownies

so, I neglected to take my ativan last night and it became apparent at around 12:30AM when I was still not sleepy and could not get the thoughts to stop flowing. I took my dose at 12:30AM but it took until about 2AM to be able to think about going up to bed. OK night of sleep - Nick and I got up this morning when the alarm went off but I left Ellie sleeping. I decided if she woke up before 8AM she would go to school but if she slept any later I would keep her home. At 8:10AM Ellie came running down the stairs worried about begin late for school - I told her she wasn't going. Ellie doesn't really like "sick" days - she feels like she is missing something at school and really dislikes relaxing.
I got Nick ready for school and Ellie and I drove him - didn't realize the snow was already so deep. We dropped Nick off and came home - I did some laundry, we watched some tv, Ellie played on the computer for a bit. Soon enough, it was time to pick up Nick from school - Ellie joined me for the ride. Nick came running out with his art - a glitter snow globe and a backpack filled with glittery art - I hate glitter. We came home and I gave shoveling a second shot - I did a quick shovel after we came home from taking Nick but it was in need again when we came home. The second shoveling killed my hands - I probably shouldn't have done it in the first place but I felt like I could tackle it.
I told Ellie we would bake some bread and I would make chicken noodle soup - so I got started. I put in a batch of brownies, too. Nick had ham for lunch with some fruit and joined us in a slice of hot bread. Ellie and I had a bowl of soup and then I made the stupid mistake of eating watermelon from the fridge - immediately sent my entire mouth into pain. It is the pain you get when you put your teeth into ice cream or something else cold by mistake - its an ache and then a burn - well it seems to be quasi permanent since the watermelon this afternoon.
I set up a hot shower for Ellie so she could try to see if steam would help her out. Nick and I sat in the bathroom at then end and enjoyed the steam. We dried Ellie's hair and went over to Mom's - I needed a Scarlett change. The kids were occupied so Mom and I changed Scarlett - still very red and raw. I made an extra pot of soup and brought it to Mom's (both her and Dad have the beginnings of the cold). We stayed for a little while but go going a bit after 4PM.
We got home just as Rob was getting home - good timing - he did the 3rd shoveling. It was shower/bath night and laundry night. I re-heated the soup for dinner with some chicken and fruit and brownies for dessert. We got the kids ready for bed and put them to sleep. I have a vapor plug in Ellie's room right now and it has the brightest night light ever in it - I put electric tape over it and it is still bright. I went in to say goodnight to Ellie and she is making hand puppets on the wall by the light - took her a bit to fall asleep tonight.
It was a great day minus the crazy teeth and tinglie cold hands. Hoping Ellie wakes up feeling better - she had big red marks around her nose from blowing it so frequently and her lips are majorly chapped. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me -whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the absolutely wonderful soup! It was so nice to come home from the wake and just heat up dinner. Dad says to tell you the flavor was spot on! Great with your bread, and then brownies after....wonderful treat. Thanks! Hopefully it will be the magic medicine everybody needs. Sorry about the throat. What if you gargle with some warm salt water? Take your Ativan and get some sleep...Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete