Tuesday, January 18, 2011

No evidence of dieases

I stayed on the couch last night so I didn't pick up any of the icky germs Rob was coughing and snotting out. Around 6:30AM I heard the gate open and move many times upstairs and then the pitter patter of little feet. Nick came down to find me with all his stuffed animals and Diego - he crawled under the quilt with me but he couldn't fall back to sleep. Rob came down to leave for work around 10 to 7AM and I turned cartoons on for Nick. I fixed him breakfast and then went to wake up Ellie. We packed Ellie's bag for school and a snack and then she was off to the bus stop.
I packed my bag for chemo with some snacks and a magazine and my pillow and blanket. Nick and I drove to Mom's house and took Nick's bag in. I got the dollhouse out for him and he went fast to work playing - asking me if I could leave now. I headed over to Kellogg and checked in - I saw Margaret on my way in and she asked how things went last week and I told her about the trouble accessing my port. I went up to the infusion center and Lori accessed my port and drew my blood - she said she had a nice room for me today - a suite. I had a nice comfy bed and my own private washroom.
I had a couple minutes until Margaret found me and took me back for my Dr. Marsh visit. Margaret greeted me with the news that the CT scan last week was clear and printed me out the report. We went through all the side effects and symptoms from last infusion. I had my hand slapped a bit because i didn't call or email her or Dr. Marsh with the chest pain I had. Dr. Marsh came in and discussed my scan a bit more and how he was really quite happy with how it looked. Most importantly, no evidence of disease followed by port-catheter in right vein and ostomy on right side with hernia (so Scarlett has a hernia). Margaret also told me I could have her paged and she could always access my port, if needed.
Dr. Marsh did his exam which always calms me because he starts with a sort of massage of my neck - I know its not a massage but it feels good. I asked about Plum and how it really seems the 3 bumps are far more prominent that they have ever been and because the needle was already in he couldn't get a real good look but felt the opposite side of chest and told me there really isn't any fat to absorb the bumps so they will stick out. I was then told that as long as Plum stays under my skin I am ok - seriously, Plum could pop out apparently. My counts were all good and I could have my 5th infusion!
I went to find Lori to start everything up and sat in the comfy bed waiting. I posted onto facebook my wonderful news but it got me thinking - I have this mighty tough chick attitude and really works for me most of the time, however, I was nervous, anxious and fearful about hearing the results today. I started thinking about every detail about the scan (not just today but over the past few days). The technician when walking me out said he was so sorry I was having to go through this and how I was so young - did he see something on the computer? When the contrast was injected it immediately heated up my lower body (it is supposed to) but could that mean it was finding something?My butt hurts as much now as it did when I went through radiation - hurts when the door slams against it or Nick runs into it - is this a sign? Ahhh, I am very relieved with the results but know I have another 5 years of this worry.
Lori hung my pre-meds and my anti-nausea meds - I ate some veggie chips. I read through the magazine selection before deciding to get my blanket out and when my 2 hour bags got hung I knocked out. It was odd being in a hospital bed again - I usually have a recliner but with a bed i was able to get really comfy. The room was pretty quiet and the only way it could have been better was to have some sunlight coming through the huge windows instead of gray skies.
Lori hooked up my pump and I was on my way - I stopped by the pharmacy to refill my anti-nausea meds and the lidocaine cream - I have to say that makes a world of difference in the access of my port - no pain today.
The tinglies began as soon as I reached the air lock between the center and outside and didn't stop until I caressed a mug of hot tea at Mom's. Nick was eating lunch when I arrived and they had made cinnamon rolls. Mom and I sat and talked for a bit over lunch - stuffed shells and garlic bread. I did end up passing out on the couch for about 30 minutes before I needed to pick up Ellie.
When we got home I took Ellie aside and shared my great news and I don't think she really understood what I was saying because she insisted that I shouldn't have to go through the remaining chemo if I was all better. The kids went to play in the basement and I crashed on the couch - I heard rob come home and knew I could totally give way to the sleep bug - I woke up at 6PM. This is the problem with infusion days - I am sleepy during the day and it comes to be 11PM and I am wired and cannot sit still - ahh, pre-meds.
We had dinner and Ellie was a huge help because there was no way I could dig through the fridge or cut up stuff from the fridge. Rob gave Nick a bath while I kept Ellie company in our role reversal. She used her chef knife and cut the cucumber up and seasoned it and fixed a plate of berries up and then got dinner in and out of the oven for me - all the better, she set the table for me.
We had a nice dinner together and I think everyone was pretty hungry because it was quiet during dinner. We went upstairs and that is when all hell broke lose. I got up the stairs and noticed the bathroom door was shut - Ellie was in her room and Rob was in ours. I got the sheets and blankets straightened out our bed and then went to see what was happening in the bathroom - Nick was supposed to be brushing his teeth. Instead, he had his sleeve pulled open in his PJs and was filling his sleeve with water from the spout. The entire bathroom floor was wet, Nick was saturated - PJs, t-shirt - all needed to be taken off and replaced. Once naked he refused to get dressed again and was running all over the upstairs. I finally got new PJs on him and he wouldn't get into his bed, then he wouldn't stop revving (his imitation of Lightening McQueen), then he took all his covers off and tried to get out of bed again. I was so frustrated.
Tinglies have really been the only side effect thus far, ironically, my teeth have stopped hurting. About an hour ago I got a real bad stomach ache and pulled the garbage can next to the couch but haven't had to use it. I feel like the Katy Perry song right now, "I'm hot then I'm cold, I'm yes then I'm no..." Just when I think I am comfortable something starts to bother me. Hoping for another good cycle - visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment