Thursday, January 13, 2011

A good day

I actually went up to bed when I was tired last night - just after midnight. Sleep was pretty good last night. Usual morning except we changed the breakfast routine up and the kids both had oatmeal this morning (found it yesterday while cleaning out the kitchen cabinet). Ellie got off to the bus and I took Nick to school. It felt like a good thrifting day so I went to Salvation - score!
I went through clothing and found nothing great, however, toys were great today. Not that we need anything after Christmas but I found this huge bag of wooden dollhouse furniture and people for $2.00 - I am hoping this stops Nick from stealing Ellie's dollhouse furniture. I found new in package knitting loop forms - I don't knit but I figure this might just be a good time to try - Cancer Wellness offers knitting groups. I got another huge bag of chunky rubber stamps which Ellie and I use for patterning in pottery. The big score when out of the corner of my eye I saw a baby doll with "AG" on its t-shirt. I pulled it from the shelf and flipped it around and sure enough the back of the neck was "Pleasant Company" - for those who don't know the score quality of this - this was an American Girl Bitty Baby boy doll - price $2.06. Finishing up the thrifting finds were a pint glass (seem to break on a regular basis here) and a pair of brikenstock clogs - looked new. Best $10.00 I have spent in a while!
I tried my luck at another fave thrift store but my scoring had ceased to follow. I ran into Old Navy to look what they had on clearance but found nothing either. I went and picked Nick up - he was thrilled with his Bitty Baby, known now as Diego. He loves that he has a baby like Ellie's that has eyes that open and shut and he can sleep or be awake. The one thing that bothered him instantly was that Diego only had a t-shirt on. I told Nick we would look for some clothes for Diego at home.
We went to Mom's to play with Tony and have lunch. The boys kept us laughing today. Tony has a stuffy nose and I think his hearing might be off so Nick would say something to him and he would hear something else and it was a continual source of laughter. Nick told T something was in the kitchen and T said - I'm not the kitchen, Nicky, I am Tony. Mom helped me with a Scarlett change - she is much happier today. Tony was with us when we did the change out and he calls her Sca-lott. He was cracking us up because then he called her a fuchi (sp) donut - basically a icky, gross donut.
We had Mary Poppins on and that was entertaining Nick and then the boys both started dancing to Supercal... too funny. Nick and I said or goodbyes and went to pick Ellie up at the bus stop. We came home and Ellie did her homework and Nick explored his new dollhouse furniture which he proudly announced we could paint. I found Diego some baby clothing from the bins in the basement. Rob got home from work and we talked for a bit before deciding we should probably eat something before heading to Cancer Wellness for our family meeting. I made a tray of nachos - half with cheese and half without (Nick doesn't care for cheese). We all ate our nachos and told Rob about our new treasures and then we got bundled and headed up to CWC (Cancer Wellness Center).
We met with a very lovely man who instantly put me into a zen place - he just exudes calm. While Rob and I did some paperwork he took Ellie and Nick on a tour and talked with them. We all went into his office and we had a very productive family meeting. We have a bunch of options available to us for support - individually, couples, family - ironically, there is no colo-rectal cancer support group. He said they have tried to start one a few times and they don't really fly - duh, no one wants to sit around and discuss their butts.
We had a very great, open conversation on the way home with Ellie asking some questions she has never asked and it was just free-ing. We talked about how we don't know what caused my cancer and how that is frustrating. We discussed what guided imagery is and we used it to take us to Disney World on the way home with everyone adding to the image. We got home and got the kiddos to bed. I am sitting here smiling and blogging - today was good. It was refreshing to hear that Ellie's current thought is everything is going to be ok.
Still have the finger tinglies and the annoying teeth issue. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment: