Saturday, January 15, 2011

Playdate Saturday

Nick came to bring me up to bed around 1AM - still don't know how he manages the stairs in a dazy sleep. The kids were up early - Rob has been promising Nick a "present" all week and Nick woke up this morning and wanted to know if his "present" had arrived yet. I slept in a bit and came down and rob had poured me a bowl of coffee. We had a lazy morning - the kids played, Rob and I got some talk time in and I put away laundry.
The stinky kids took baths - the stinky adults took showers and then we discussed plans for the day. My girlfriend, Julie, was coming into town for the weekend and was spending the day/evening with us so Rob was on Dad duty. The kids really wanted to go mini-golfing which isn't a readily available thing in Chicagoland during the winter months. We called around - the one in Golf Mill had closed, the one in Lincolnshire had relocated to Hoffman Estates. We tried bowling but we called 3 different places and they were booked through 10PM with leagues. We found a glow in the dark place in Norridge that didn't have a wait time and Rob and the kids were on their way.
Julie arrived a bit earlier than she thought - her drive went smoothly. We caught each other up over a couple mugs of tea. Rob sent me a picture of Nick on a roller coaster - after mini-golf he took the kiddos to Go Bananas - kind of like Chuck E Cheese. Julie and I were having some appetizers when the gang got home and they were so happy to see Julie. Nick actually invited her to sleep in his bed - he has a Thomas toddler bed that uses the crib mattress - could be nice and snuggly. We all visited for a bit and the kids showed off their toys and tricks and then Jules and I went to dinner.
We had the best waiter who made us continually laugh. I have sangria thinking it would be better than a margarita but it came on ice too - I took tiny sips and let it warm up in my mouth before swallowing and the cold wasn't so bad then. There are some things that are ruined after this evening but you know whatever happens while you are with your life long friend stays with that life long friend...
We finished dinner and talked for a bit but the line of people waiting for tables was growing so we got out of there. We stopped by Dominicks for some bagels and milk - Mom and Dad had dropped a chocolate coffee cake by earlier. We came home and the kids were still awake - in their PJs but awake. They entertained us for a bit but then went to watch a movie while J, Rob and I laughed and talked. I got the kids to bed and came down to find the football game on - I think this could be bad news for the Bears but I know nada about football.
Rob and Jules were both tired and called it a night and I am here listening to SNL and blogging. Great day with Jules - laughter is the very best therapy and trust me we have years of memories than conjure up wonderful laughs. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment