Friday, January 14, 2011

Ahhh, it's Friday

Had the best laughs watching Conan last night - too funny. Had an average nights sleep - the kids were up before me and I was tired this morning. I got up all dressed, making sure I avoided any metal on my clothing for my scan. We all had breakfast and I got to drink my prep with 20 ounces of tea. Ellie got off to the bus stop and we packed up a couple things for Nick to take to Mom's. I visited with Mom for a little bit before I was on my way off to the hospital for my scan.
I sadly know the drill and went to wait to be called back to the room. The tech, Dan, had me get on the table and I told him I had a power port and he sort of rolled his eyes. He said that was fine but he would have to page a nurse and that would mean a wait. Funny, one of the marketing points of this power point is that it can be used for ct scans. I am not an easy stick for IVs and chemo for the past 3 months probably hasn't helped that situation - so page the nurse. Dan and another tech kept coming in and apologizing for the wait, they covered me with a sheet and blanket and I just was on the table looking at the ceiling (by the way, there were 72 ceiling tiles and 8 lights). Dan came back in and I asked him if the actual procedure is any different with a port and he pulled down the collar on his shirt to show me his port and said no and then explained after the port was accessed they would still use the injector for the contrast and what ever other poison they inject. Finally, the other tech came in and informed me that IR and ER have no nurses available but he had talked to Kellogg and I could go over there are they could access my port and then I would come back for my scan.
The tech walked me over to Kellogg and Colleen accessed my port - I totally forgot to lidocaine up and I did feel the needle go in but it wasn't terrible. I walked back to radiology and Dan came to get me for the scan. Same old scan, breathe in, hold breath, breathe. I won't know results until my appointment on Tuesday - frustrating. I got my bottle of water - which thankfully, are not refrigerated and walked back over to Colleen to be disconnected. There was a conversation about if my port needed to be flushed with heparin or not - I sort of understand the confusion after all they don't normally do the port access for ct scans but shouldn't that be an in-service sometime?
I had got a call from Uncle Mike while I was getting my scan so I called him back on my way to the car. Our dinner with Tara needed to be postponed for another night. I called Mom to ask if I could pick up lunch on my way - I was hungry. I was able to get a spot right across from Foodstuffs and picked up sandwiches for Mom and me and some veggie chips and an after school treat for the kids. I somehow managed to eat my whole sandwich -delicious and garlicy. I watched the last part of Cars with Nick and then I was overwhelmed with sleepiness. I grabbed Nick and fell asleep on the couch for 45 minutes or so.
Nick and I packed up and came home to get Ellie. I gave the kids their treats - chocolate snowmen - they really liked them. The kids played with the dollhouse furniture and trains and then Ellie tried out her friendship bracelet maker. We made plan B plans with Jo to meet at Cici's Pizza for dinner - I knew the kids would be disappointed that we weren't able to see Tara tonight. We met Jo and Tony there and I think Ellie and Tony might have out ate the rest of us. Nick ate green peppers and carrots from the salad bar and cinnamon rolls - he refused to eat pizza or noodles.
We said good night to Jo and T and we headed back home. Nick made himself into a turtle - pulling his hat down over his eyes and his scarf up and Ellie kept saying he was fake sleeping but he turned out to really be dead asleep when we got home. I carried him in and decided he was just going to sleep in his clothes and carried him up to bed. Ellie stayed up and finished her bracelet and then I took her up to bed. Rob just got home from the basketball game he was taping tonight.
I took the band-aid off Plum and this was the first time she had bled after disconnect and she is in a tiny bit of pain. I don't know if it was the lack of lidocaine, the different needle (that looked identical to me but was labeled power port ct needle), the quick time it was placed and then disconnected - I don't know just know she isn't too happy. Teeth are down to dull pain today and my hands were fine until I decided to drive without my gloves on. So excited for tomorrow - Julie is driving up for a play date - can I call it a play date when we are in our mid 30s? Even better - I think it is going to be a sleepover play date. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Why yes you can. I love going out to play with my friends. I am way beyond my mid-30s! Sorry about the port. It should really be working for you, not against you. Makes you wonder how many people just get eye rolled into an IV rather than inconveniencing the staff? Lidocaine is just one more thing to put on your short list for next time. Laughs at Cici's? Please say hi to Julie for me...my offer stands for Sunday...I know, she has real family,too! I have lots of nibbles in the fridge if you want some finger food. Let me know...I provide drop off service. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete