Monday, April 4, 2011

Million dollar question still unanswered

I went up to bed around 2AM - I was sort of waiting for the storm to die down and if the kids would stay asleep. Everyone slept through the storm and it was a rather quiet night. Back to school today, Nick woke Ellie up around 7:30. We went downstairs for breakfast and got dressed. I packed kiwi for Ellie's snack and got her lunch ready. I asked Ellie last night if she wanted to clean out her backpack - she said it wasn't in need, yet that is what she was doing 3 minutes before she needed to leave. Ellie got out to the bus and was picked up and I got Nick some more breakfast because he was still hungry. When I tried to call Jen Dore this morning I realized our phone line either had water or wind damage from the storm and had tons of noise on the line. I left a message for Jen and then called the phone company to place a service call - our internet also was flaky this morning. Before I took Nick to school I got a call that out issue was resolved. Nick and I went to school and he was happy to be there again. I dropped off some books at the library before coming home. Our phone was again noisy when I got home - so I place another call to repair the line. I got a call back from Jen and she said I should run my symptoms past Dr. Muldoon - so I emailed him with my story. I picked Nick up from school and we came home and got ready for Mom, Dad and Tony to come over and play. They brought leftovers from yesterday with them for lunch and then the boys went to play with the trains. I was off to my appointment with Dr. Hulick, the genetics doctor. Shelly, Dr. Hulick's assistant, sat and discussed my family tree for the first part of my appointment. I had to fill in this 10 page questionnaire about 3 weeks ago that dealt with my family cancer history and other health history questions and fax it into them in advance of this visit. I found out that my tumor and nodes were biopsied and that I do not carry the Lynch Syndrome gene. This means I am not at a higher risk for other particular cancers. Looking through my family tree there is nothing that jumps out. So the million dollar question is still unanswered - how does a 34 year old with no family history, hasn't eaten red meat in 24 years, has never smoked and isn't partaking in happy hour every night end up with stage III rectal cancer? The other good news was that I had no polyps present at my colonoscopy and hope the same happens at this next one. I was told there were a few tests I could pursue but chances of insurance covering them was not great and they most likely wouldn't tell us anything more - an upper endoscope - think colonoscopy of the upper GI and digestive system and blood screening (although the biopsy contains more info). The wonderful thing about the visit today is my tree will hang out in their computer system and when new genes are found and new information that is pertinent to me becomes available they will contact me. I can also contact them if anything comes up medically in my family tree and they will add it and advise. I came home and it was almost time to pick Ellie up from the bus - Dad and the boys came with and Nick drove in the Jeep with T. This made Dad a bit nervous - Nick driving and not having clear boundaries. Ellie did homework and Jo came to pick T up and then Mom and Dad left. I got a call from Dr. Muldoon who also didn't provide a wealth of security - he said he would check everything out at my appointment next week. It was likely that a ball of mucus loosened and passed and this is normal because my intestines are still living. Rob came home with a huge box for the kids to play with - the new entertainment for the week. Ellie and I left for pottery but not without Nick flipping out because we didn't take him. Ellie and I glazed and then made very similar bowl - I made mine and then Ellie decided it looked cool and made hers. We were able to pick up quite a few pieces that had been fired and were ready to take home. Ellie finally glazed her horse (about a year old) and took it home tonight. We picked up Dengeos on the way home I need to hit the grocery store tomorrow. We ate dinner and watched the first few couples on Dancing with the Stars before going up to bed. Both kids were asleep pretty quickly and then Rob and I were able to come down and watch the last few couples. I noticed while showering today that my feet have begun to shed another layer off - wonderful. TMI moment - my butt is officially sore and I can only imagine how very sore it will be after the reversal. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment