Monday, April 25, 2011

All cleared for surgery

Fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 5AM and went up to bed. The alarm went off at 6:45AM - Rob forgot to turn it off when he got up. Nick and I came downstairs and Ellie and Rob were already up and were having breakfast. I got Nick breakfast and got myself a cup of coffee, switched loads of laundry and read the paper from yesterday. Ellie got off to the bus just as the rain began this morning. I took Nick to school and then I was off for my pre-op physical.
I got to my 9:30AM appointment a bit early but I had my visit, nose swab for Staph and was out the door in 10 minutes - pretty impressive and the main reason I want to switch doctors. So here is the thing - when you schedule your appointment you need to tell them why/what you are scheduling for - pre-op visit. When I checked in the lady asked who my surgeon was - Muldoon. The nurse brings me into the exam room and asks me if I know my height and weight ok, this is really official could I just give you a guess on my blood pressure and perhaps whip up a random white blood count? The nurse asks who my surgeon is - oh we are so efficient. The nurse takes my blood pressure and verifies medicines I am taking and says the doctor will be in shortly. Doctor enters and ask what I am there for - seriously? What type of surgery will I be having? Seriously, again, the sheet right in front of him says ileostomy take down. We once again verifies medicine and then he looks in my mouth, ears, feels my ankles, listens to my chest and presses in on my hip bones - done! I swear it took longer for me to wait to get my nose swabbed than it did for my pre-op history and physical.
I had a bunch of time until I had to get Nick so I went to Target to check out the Easter clearance and get some basics. I was able to pick up napkins and some basket fillers for next year and a couple cake mixes. I went to pick Nick up and then we went over to Mom and Dad's. We had lunch and hung out for a bit. Nick played with trains and we read through some catalogues. Nick and I came home and we watched cartoons and played until it was time to pick Ellie up from the bus. Nick got on his trike to pick up Ellie and we made it home just before it started to rain, again. Ellie did her homework and then the kids wanted to watch Sharpay. We all cuddled on the couch and I fell asleep -this is so bizarre - naps 3 days in a row. Rob came home and played with Nick while Ellie and I finished watching the movie. Ellie and I made pizzas before we went to pottery - Rob cooked them while we were at class.
Some of our pieces were fired and we had 2 bowls and a vase to take home with us. We both had a piece to glaze and then Ellie went to work making herself a mug. I had little motivation - partially because next week will be my last class for this session - Mom will be taking Ellie to the final few classes. We came home and the pizza smelled so good. We ate dinner, I jumped in the shower and then we got the kids ready for bed.
Nothing on tv tonight so I have been looking through websites for furniture. We will need to get Nick a big boy bed soon and I have been looking at captains beds or loft beds but haven't found the perfect one yet. I have given up hope for the back room couch - stuff spills on the couch several times a day and I don't care because it is 9 years old but I would be insane if it were a new couch. We also need new mattresses for all of us - ours is 12 years old, Ellie's is my bed from Mom and Dad's and we don't have an extra twin for Nick. I guess I know where our tax return money will be going this year.
Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. We haven't talked mattresses...do you want the mattress from the guest bed. It's in great shape, and the bed only gets used a few times a year. Get Ellie a new mattress and use our's for Nick. I'll take Ellie's and use it on the guest bed....think about it. It would buy you a few years. Oh, Scarlett, we're grateful for you and the healing time you provided, but we are so ready for your final act! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete