Monday, February 21, 2011

We don't need no stinkin' maids

Rob did pass out at 8:00 last night but I was up until a bit after midnight watching tv and playing on the computer. Rob, Nick and I slept until almost 8:00 this morning - Ellie was up early. I convinced Nick to go downstairs and let me sleep a bit longer by telling him he could have a breakfast party and watch Eloise on netflix stream. I woke up and had my first cup of coffee in a week - ahhh caffeine, well more than tea.
What started out as an innocent teaching of how to clean the bathroom (one of the things Ellie has agreed to learn to help me out) turned into a early Spring cleaning. Ellie and I worked in our half bath and I taught her which cleaners clean what and she was an excellent helper. Nick wanted to be involved in the cleaning action so I initially gave him a Mr. Clean magic eraser to work on some icky wall spots but he wanted to clean with cleaner too. I put him in charge of dusting - I sprayed each surface and he went to work cleaning it up - real good job.
We moved upstairs to the other bathroom but Ellie quickly got distracted and I got inspired to deep clean. I asked Rob for a razor blade scrapper and went to town removing old caulk so Rob could re-caulk with new stuff. I washed the floor, cleaned out the cabinet under the sink, bleached the toilet and sink. Rob nicely did the final caulk removal because my fingers kept on cramping up. Rob also glued down some of the tiles that have come up over the years - the bathroom looks sparkly clean. I still need to work on the tub and shower but I can only do so many chemicals a day and I had my limit.
I sat on my bedroom floor and sorted laundry and realized the bedrooms really needed a deep clean too. I asked Ellie to start in her room and Nick to do specific things in his room. When I went into Ellie's room she had already organized her bookcase and was working on her American Girl clothes. I sat and helped Ellie organize some of her bins and we donated 2 bags from her room to Salvation today. Ellie asked if she could try to change her own sheets and I said yes but she couldn't get her mattress out of the plastic lip that it sits in. Ellie's room looks awesome.
Rob and Nick had been working in his room and had organized the train table and had got tall his books out to go through - we changed out some of his books so that some baby books were put away and some new big boy books were brought out. I was able to re-organize some drawers so that I was able to get rid of a giant rubbermaid and storage box in his room. I also was able to re-arrange some toys so they are more accessible for him. I still need to go through Nick's dresser and weed out the clothing that is too small but I might just wait for the season change.
I moved onto our bedroom - which is the dumping ground wither by the kids bringing things in there are leaving them, toys being hidden for safety issues or just general laziness. I pulled out a bin of shoes from under our bed and was able to quickly able to pile about half for donation. I asked Nick to help get all the shoes from under the dresser and now all my shoes are nicely organized and I officially think Rob has more shoes than me now. I then worked on my dresser which usually is piled with towels to be put away, land of the lost socks (I have an entire bag filled with un-matched socks), hair accessories - mine and Ellie's, re-possessed candy and toys and sometimes some books or clothes to go to the cleaner. I was able to put things in the proper places and now I can see the wood on the dresser again. Rob even cleaned his dresser and closet today. The final cleaning of the day was a huge vacuum of the entire upstairs - I cannot believe how much of my hair littered the floor - kinds gross.
I got the kids into the bathtub for a bath because honestly we all smelled after a day of cleaning. I was able to finish putting laundry away and get our bedding changed out while they were in the tub. They got dressed in their PJs and went downstairs to have movie night - Holly Hobbie was the movie du jour. I changed loads of laundry, made a new pot of tea, washed the dishes and then hopped in the shower myself. I noticed as I was putting on my socks that my feet have began the peeling stage - toes and side calluses right now. I lotioned them up and just plan to leave them alone. Rob jumped in the shower and I sat with the kids watching the movie.
I asked Rob if he would run out and grab us dinner before he went out tonight - he is helping a friend with a video project. We had Wing Stop and the kids picnicked in the back room while watching the movie - they must have been hungry because they both finished their plates. Rob went to meet his friend and the kids and I finished up the movie. We went up to brush teeth and get to bed - we need to get Nick a big boy bed but he doesn't want to give up his Thomas bed but he is clearly too big for it. Anyhow, he ends up getting bored and scratching the plastic on the bed or kicking the end of the bed and it makes bedtime a bit longer than I would like it to take. I got Nick to sleep and went to tuck Ellie in - we switched out her night music to the Kit Kittridge soundtrack - we will see how she likes it. We had a nice couple minutes talking about all our accomplishments today - I am proud of her and she said she looks forward to being able to put her finger right on things she might want.
I have been listening to tv and playing on the computer since I came down - occasionally going downstairs to switch laundry loads (bed changing weeks stink - between sheets and mattress covers and blankets - it adds about 4 extra loads). I listened to a very disturbing new show on tlc - kids birthday extravaganzas - holy cow, this Mom just spend $32,000 on her 6 year old birthday party and by the end of this gala the little girl was in tears because the cake was not what she envisioned. This world we live in is crazy because this is a tv series meaning this isn't the only nuking futs family.
I just really tried to push past my hands and feet today. I wore gloves when I used chemicals because my hands can't really get any more dry and chapped. My gums are still a constant pain but Mom asked a pharmacist about biotene mouthwash today and the pharmacist told her it is common with chemo and my doctor could prescribe me a mouthwash with lidocaine in it - I will have to email Margaret and find out about this. A bit of lower back pain and some lower abdominal pain. Now I almost on month 10 without a period and I am ok with that - I have heard 12 qualifies you as active menopause and I really am ok with that - I really don't know if I want my period back but that is the pain I am feeling right now. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment: