Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowgasm has hit


I stayed up until midnight and then went up to bed slowly. It took me a while to get up the stairs and the getting into our tall bed was a process but I have to say I woke up this morning in a bunch less pain. I still have pain sitting and standing or trying to rotate but no more pain while walking. It was wild seeing/hearing the thunder and lightening last night. Everyone let me sleep in this morning and that was the best treat ever.

We had breakfast when I got up and I had a cup of coffee. The kids were so excited about the snow - we didn't officially measure but I think we got about 24" of snow. Rob had to push the front screen door open to even get outside. The snowdrifts had blocked the doorway. It took Rob about 10 minutes to clear just the 2 front stairs and he looked like he was trying to formulate a plan of attack. Eventually our front walk was shoveled and then we got the kids bundled up to go out and play in the storm of their lifetime.

The kids made snow angels, tried to climb the snow drifts and attempted to play on the playground equipment. Nick at one point got stuck in a drift and it reminded me of Christmas Story - he was yelling I can't get out, I can't get out. They played for about 45 minutes and were just covered in snow when they came in. I had started a fire going in the fireplace and had made a pot of hot cocoa and cookies - we had a picnic by the fireplace and warmed up. Because this is an infusion week I cannot be out int he cold because it feel so much colder to me and I was sorry I wasn't able to help Rob out today because it was a lot of work.

Skokie had sent an email out stating their main goal was the main streets followed by getting the center lane of each side street plowed. Well, we had snow about 3' high and about 2' wide to get through to the cars but I knew we wanted to get them dug out before the freeze tonight. Rob worked for hours and got both of our cars freed. Ellie went back outside and helped our neighbors shovel their car out of their garage and then worked in the other neighbors yard making a fort. Nick realized Ellie was out and we bundled him back up and he went out.

I washed all the jackets and snow apparel when they got in because it was stinky with sweat. Ellie helped me fold the clothes and put away the laundry that was already done. I started dinner because we didn't eat lunch today. I made macaroni and cheese and chicken sausages with apple sauce and we baked cookies for dessert. After dinner the kids took their baths and got PJs on and we had movie night and watch Shrek the final chapter and off to bed they went.

Ellie helped me change out Scarlett today - something that I am both proud and depressed about. My 8 year old can change an ostomy?!?! School is cancelled again for tomorrow - as I think they should be seeing as how the streets aren't really clear, the sidewalks aren't cleared and the sub arctic temperature. I do have to got to Kellogg for my disconnect tomorrow but the good news is I don't have to take the kiddos with me because Rob will be home to watch them.

Feeling a bit nauseous today, I forgot to begin my claritin last night so I am hoping I don't have major muscle pain with my neulasta shot. I have a bit of neck pain - I think I got a bit of whip lash falling down last night. My hands are pretty sore today - I keep getting stupid cuts, paper cuts, cuts from opening boxes and they tend to bleed more than normal and have residual pain. I have a fair amount of port pain and it is super itchy. My nose still has the freezy thing going on. The fireplace did feel good today. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that may be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully the Claritin will help with some of the itchiness. Glad everyone is home tomorrow...sorry you have to make the trip to Kellogg. Dad is going in to work. Hopefully the roads will be better in the morning. Hope you got photos of the kids in the snow. If not, be sure to get some tomorrow...it is part of their history! Glad Ellie is a quick study...I'm sure she felt very good about helping you in such an important way. Thank goodness she's such a perfectionist. I wish I could be of more help to you all...think of something so I don't feel so guilty! Sleep well. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete