Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Only one more infusion!

This will be a shorter post tonight - the waves of nausea are knocking around and I am tired. Usual morning around here - Ellie was off to school and I dropped Nick off at preschool. I came home and got ready for Kellogg - packed food, a book, some magazines and my blanket and pillow. I got to Kellogg and Deb got Plum started and drew my blood. I am amazed - it seems every other week when I go in the port package has changed - a new cap, a new dressing, a new way to hold the gloves - amazing. Also amazing to me was I was infused in the West pod today - never knew it existed and kind of made me sad because all in all I think about 50 people can be getting infused at the same time in one location - stupid cancer.
I met with Margaret and Dr. Marsh - nothing really new. I asked about CEA number (cancer marker) which is still way on the normal range but does vary draw to draw - normal. I officially have hand and foot syndrome - my hands are the color of a strawberry and the brown polka dot spots have started to pop up more. I found out that not only will I be getting regular CT scans post treatment - I can also look forward to pretty regular colonoscopies - of the fun. I asked if they could do the next colonoscopy while I still have Scarlett because then 'go litely' isn't in my near future - we are looking into that. Margaret also suggested another GI doctor for all the fun I will be having.
I forgot to take my ativan before my infusion and could not get my zen on and relax enough to sleep today. I read for a bit, played games on my i-touch - I ended up getting so nauseous I had to stop concentrating on anything and I just lounged in the chair. This infusion seemed slow to me today but hey - only one more.
Uncle Joe has been in the hospital since last week and I stopped in to see him on my way out today. On my way to the right elevator I ran into Mrs. B - pleasant surprise. We took a couple minutes to catch up before we went our own ways. I had a lovely visit with Uncle Joe and I think I just read on facebook that he finally got sprung tonight. I headed to Mom's house to pick up Nick and to chill out for a while. Oh, we tried steri-strips instead of tape today in hopes that I don't blister.
Mom and Nick had a nice afternoon together and he was cuddling when I got there. We stayed until about 5 and then headed home. Rob took a partial day off to help coordinate the afternoon (my appointment was about 2 hours later than normal) so I wasn't sure I would be on time to pick up Ellie and get her to her appointment with Trish. I guess it was another good appointment and they will meet again next week.
We got home and I had planned on making dinner but Rob told me to sit on the couch and he would take care of it. We had chicken sausage, pasta, bread and fruit. The kids each helped with various parts of the meal. We took the kids up to bed after dinner - it seemed to take forever to get nick to fall asleep. I think he might be working on some molars because he is putting everything in his mouth again and complains about them hurting.
I feel asleep for a little bit watching tv and now I am on the awake side of steroids but feel physically very tired. The tinglies began with just walking down the hall in the hospital today but have settled down and aren't so bad since. The waves of grossness are pretty constant. My teeth got that instant pain like when you bite into something very cold - I could really finish dinner when it began. For whatever reason I feel like I have about a mile of tubing connected to me - it is seriously about 1' longer than it normally is and I keep catching it on everything. I will rant some more tomorrow - I have a suggestion letter being formulated in my chemo brain mind to Kellogg about how they need to change things for people having folfox infusions - like having a sink with hot water instantly and having hot beverages more readily available without a nurse humphing that they have to go downstairs to get it. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Only one more...the end of this phase is so in sight! Hope the nausea subsides quickly. Try some honey and Ginger in your tea...I'll fix some for you later. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete