Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday...

I say it again - chemo is like pregnancy. We placed a carry-out order at Outback at 10PM last night. If we were at home I would have been able to just get something salty but we had nothing at the hotel. I screwed up our order - I wanted a grilled cheese sandwich but order grilled chicken instead but Rob nicely traded his fries for my mashed potatoes. We ate and then I fell asleep when Rob was doing some research on tool prices online. I woke up and Rob had already gone to bed - so I joined him.
Even with the room darkening curtains and the overcast sky, Nick was up at 6:30AM. I was able to keep him quiet for about 45 minutes but then he started talking instead of whispering. We let Rob sleep in a bit longer and Ellie, Nick and I went into the other room to watch some tv. When Rob got up we got dressed and went down to breakfast. The kids eyes were bigger than their tummies but that was ok. We had our breakfast and the kids really like that about 2/3 of the breakfast is serve yourself so they could help themselves to what they wanted.
We went back to the room and the kids watched a bit more tv before we packed up and headed out. The freezing, snowy mess had begun and we got pelted on our way out to the car. We took our time and worked our way back home. We stopped off at Woodmans - a great grocery store if you are ever in the Kenosha area. I wanted to pick up some good Wisconsin cheese and ended up with some other things too. I got saturated just walking from the store back to the car - made my fingers and toes very tingly.
We were en route to Jelly Belly - Nick really wanted to go on the train ride tour - which we have done before but Nick doesn't remember it. We were 4th in line for the tour and had to wait about 10 minutes before the train loaded up and took us around the factory. The kids (and us) gladly accepted the 'thank you for touring Jelly Belly' packs of beans. The kids enjoyed some samples from the sample bar and then we picked up a few bags of flops (the irregular beans) before traveling home. The snowy mess had turned into a rainy mess.
We got home and un-packed the car in the rain. I started laundry because the piles never diminish. We got all our new stuff un-packed and put away. We packed up Valentines day and put our St. Patricks day decorations. Rob and I tried to crash on the couch for a bit but the kids might have had to much time together and were on each others nerves. We watched a bit of the Daytona 500 - trying to compare the cars to the cars from the movie Cars (don't know if this makes sense).
We went over to Mom and Dad's for dinner - El Famous $1 taco night. Mom had made soup and was making biscuits and had made a pineapple cake. We had bought back kringles from WI. The kids were delighted at the new toys Mom and Dad picked up over the weekend - a race car set and a new, sturdy dollhouse. We had dinner - Nick sat in a new kids folding chair at his own table - the boy is bizarre sometimes. The El Famous salsa didn't do its trick - it usually numbs my gums so I can't feel them and eases up some of the pain but no such luck tonight - I even drank some right from the container.
We had dessert - I think my kids might need a sugar moratorium for a couple weeks. Mom's cake was good, the kringles were good and the kids enjoyed some Belly flops. We changed out Scarlett - who went from looking pretty good to looking very bad in 48 hours. We came home and got the kiddos in PJs and I put Nick to bed and Rob read with Ellie and then she went to bed. Rob never came back downstairs so I guess he went to sleep too.
My feet are terrible and I need to find a pair of shoes that don't hurt because my gym shoes are not comfortable. My hands have not been great today because of the cold wetness outside. My gums are the same as they have been. I guess the good news is other than a lower back ache - I have no bone/joint pain. Ellie asked me the other day if I ever wish I could have a regular glass of water and I told her there wasn't a day I don't. I am sick of tea - never mind the endless flavor possibilities - I would love the ability to just have tap water. I froze my teeth out again this morning trying to eat some watermelon - it was too cold and sent shocks of throbby pain through my teeth. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. One more infusion...one more blast of 5Fu...a couple of more weeks of drinking tea(maybe some cocoa)...some achy, peeling hands and feet for a bit...and you are done! I know this week was hard on you. You have this week to normalize a bit and then you have your last treatment! I haven't gotten out to look for the mouth rinse for you...I'll look tomorrow...promise. Think about what you and Rob want to do on the 6th. We can change the date or maybe role it into a celebration of the kiddos birthdays. Think about it. Whatever you decide, Dad and I will take the kids so that you can have date night. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete