Saturday, February 5, 2011

Social Saturday

Chemo brain can't recall last night - what I watched or when I went up to bed. I got up with the kiddos this morning and let Rob sleep in a bit. We had breakfast and the kids destructed one room at a time - paying equal attention to all areas. After watching the Valentine cartoons last night they had their minds set on making some Valentine's this morning. Not too much else to tell about the morning - Ellie tried to beat Grams scores on hidden object games and we just kind of hung around.
It was the church winter carnival today - Rob was volunteering for the afternoon shift and left about an hour before we headed out. The kids had a great time playing carnival games and jumping in the jumper. It is fun to see how they grow each year and how they have different approaches and tactics to games. Nick was pretty good at basketball - both hands over the head and throwing. Ellie though she was on the back 40 with her put-put skills - watch out for flying objects. They both liked tic-tac-toe throw and duck matching.
We had lunch and looked through the raffle items - we finally have an understanding of what a raffle is - a chance - not a guarantee. Rob had got them "special" tickets so they got to have cotton candy and they both got their faces painted - Ellie a butterfly and Nick a snowman. It was great to visit with so many friends without the rush of having to be somewhere. We waited until the raffle prizes were called and we bundled up and went home - Nick was pretty funny, he rubbed Ellie's hand and told her it was ok we didn't win this time, maybe next time.
I have to get on my soapbox for a moment - why are all these cities getting a pat on the back for their plowing efforts because I think the streets pretty much still suck. I am amazed that major streets like Golf, Waukegan and Oakton are really effectively 1.5 lanes still - 4 days after the snow. Stepping down from my soapbox - Niles, it seems, does deserve the pat on the back - their streets are dry and down to pavement. Ellie was even commenting - I think she might have picked up on my soapbox.
We came home and the kids played with their carnival loot before heading down to create some more Valentines. Rob got home a bit after we did and we enjoyed the sunshine in the back room. I was starving and made some cinnamon toast - that always tastes good. I closed my eyes for about a half hour before waking up and trying to decide what everyone felt like for dinner. We decided Mexican with a drive thru stop for a burger for Nick. We tried Taco Burrito King - not the same as El Famous - I will go the extra mile to El Famous next time. They used squirty cheese for their nachos - gross! We were initially excited because their coming soon location will be right down the street on Howard but I am not so excited anymore. In all fairness, Rob enjoyed his burrito and Ellie didn't mind the squirty cheese but my enchiladas weren't great but their guacamole was good.
On a similar wave of excitement - while driving home on Touhy we noticed that Tuesday Morning will be opening in Village Crossing. So exciting because our local one closed and became stinky Salvation Army and the closest one to us is in Northbrook - fun, fun. We had dinner and kids watched a couple more Valentine cartoons before we headed up to bed. Rob has already gone up to bed - I guess the kids tired him out today.
My fingers began to peel today. I am not sure if it is just dry skin or hand/foot syndrome peeling but I am thinking the later. My feet are incredibly sensitive and annoying - it hurts to just put my socks on. I realized today how cold our tile in our bathroom is when I stepped on the tile to brush my teeth - I usually place the bathmat on the tile and didn't today - instant regret. my teeth have begun to have that dulling pain again. On the positive side the only waves of nausea I had today were a direct effect of burnt cotton candy sugar. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. I had a whole rant about the terrible condition of main streets, but the iPad just dropped my whole comment before I hit post comment...now I'm on a roll! This device is great in some respects, but I find auto correct , and a few other features really hack me off! Sounds like you all had a pretty good day...yeah Tuesday Morning! Sorry about the feet and hands. Wear those Uggs...keep up the Shea butter routine. See you tomorrow...it's supposed to snow tonight...let me know if you change your mind about our chauffeur service. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete