Friday, June 18, 2010

WooHoo a day without xeloda

I was so tired last night and those abdominal cramps were not easing up so I went up to bed early - Rob stayed up to watch the basketball game. Because of the neuropathy and the radiation sleep has become uncomfortable - I was sleeping on my stomach but now my hands fall asleep when they are above my head. Basically just continual toss and turning now.
Ellie was up early - she at least waited until 7:30 to come into our bedroom - Nick woke up then too. We had some breakfast and got ready for the day. I was told last night not to take my xeloda this morning so I was able to eat without waiting. We had a surprise for Ellie - Mom, Dad, Jo, Tony, Nick and I were all taking her to camp this morning. They arrived at 9:15 and I just called out get your shoes on and go out to Gram and Gramps car - Ellie looked at me like I was crazy. We dropped her off - swim day today and a mighty good thing to do in this heat and humidity. We were early because we were already loaded in the car and didn't have to travel to Mom's - so we got gas in the car and drove by a couple garage sales.
Mom dropped me at the hospital - we knew it would be a bit longer today because I was going to see Dr. Marsh after my radiation treatment. Radiation was running late today - I didn't get into the room until almost 10:30. It is always nice when one of the therapists looks at you and knows you aren't feeling yourself and then tells you so. Longer treatment today because it was quality control films day. I was finally finished with radiation and went over to Kellogg to see Dr. Marsh.
Margaret met me in the waiting area and we went up to an exam room. I really think I have been trying to eat lately but I keep losing weight - I stepped on the scale and I was 4# down from my appointment last week. Margaret looked at my hands and feet and although they are hurting me and are uncomfortable they are not anywhere near the worst they've seen. I told her about my abdominal pain and then Dr. Marsh joined us. He looked at my hands and feet and told me that typically they see skin breakdown and cracking and that I am doing a great job at keeping mine moisturized. The abdominal pain could be wither menstrual or could be treatment related - basically my colon swelling and not being too happy. I asked about advil and was told that might help with not only the abdominal pain but also my hands and feet (I guess my hands were a bit swollen). As far as the neuropathy goes I was told I can try anything I want but to also weigh the cost vs. satisfaction potential. Most vitamins, supplements, herbs will take about 8-12 weeks so build up in the body to be able to have a result. I did pick up a B6 supplement today because that was one they did suggest. I had read on another blog about wearing crocs - so I did and the nubbies did seem to help (after I got over the initial pain element of the nubbies). I want to thank my friends who emailed me their suggestions about medication - I was told go ahead and try it. Dr. Marsh finally got around to the weight loss issue and it really isn't an issue until surgery - apparently, the surgeon won't do my surgery until I am pre-treatment weight again. Dr. Marsh felt I wouldn't have too much of a problem re-gaining in my 4-6 weeks off.
The gang picked me up and we were on our way to Target for our shopping adventure. We shopped until everyone was pooped out and then headed back towards Mom's. Dad picked up lunch and we just relaxed and Nick played until it was time to pick up Ellie. Nick, Dad and I took the ride to get Ellie from camp - Dad signed her out (such the thrill). We headed back to Mom and Dad's and had afternoon club (Rob was working on a project and wouldn't be home until dinner time). Soon after we got home the huge thunderstorm rolled through - it was incredible to see the rain coming down almost sideways and the wind. Jo and Tony waited until the rain let up to leave, Nick and Dad went downstairs to play with trains and Mom and Ellie went on the computer to play webkinz and do some online shopping - me, I took a late nap. I've noticed I have been sleeping with my mouth open and wake up completely dry - annoying. The nice thing about sleep is that the abdominal pain goes away or at least doesn't wake me up.
Around 6:30 Dad drove us home and Rob was on his way home, too. I re-heated some pizza and we had dinner before getting the kids to bed. I decided not to take my night does of xeloda - Margaret today told me it isn't a huge issue if I miss a dose or decide to not take a dose because I will be on it for a total of 6 weeks and that is a lot of xeloda. It's time for Miami Medical so I will wrap this up. Visualizing my healthy body, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment