Thursday, June 10, 2010

I am Pooped Out

Rob and I stayed awake to watch the Hawks win and then went to bed. Nick had another light sleep night. Ellie and Nick were both up early and headed downstairs for breakfast.
We went to Mom's for morning club and got their bags packed for the car ride. Nick insisted we watch Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special before we left for the hospital today - Christmas in June.
I had an appointment with Dr. Marsh today so we parked and everyone came in with me. Ellie got to meet a couple of my radiation therapists and they showed her the room and the machine and even showed her how the table moves and the arms move. They showed her the "cock-pit" adjacent to the room with all the monitors and my radiation info on the computers - even my picture. I had my treatment and met Ellie in the waiting room before we met Mom and the boys in the hall.
We walked over to Kellogg for my Dr. Marsh visit. We all fit into the exam room - believe it or not - thanks mostly to all the kids sitting in the big comfy chair together. We discussed my side effects and the different ones that could still show up, Dr. Marsh did a quick exam - everything looked and sounded fine. The pain in my feet is nerve based - I am supposed to keep my shoes on and not walk around barefoot. Margaret is going to work with the pharmacist and our insurance to try to lift the 5 day limit on my zofran. I asked if we will actively be able to see any progress during my treatment and was told no because my cancer marker was un-remarkable and my PET scan showed just the rectal tumor there really won't be any tracking until treatment is finished. He said we are just going to assume daily chemo and 5x/wk radiation is doing what it is supposed to be doing - kind of frustrating and un-rewarding it would make it easier to swallow those 6 pills each day if I really knew they were working.
After my appointment I was feeling ok so we went grocery shopping and ended up picking up picnic fixings at the store and had a picnic at Beck Lake. It was fun - the kids all jumped into the back seat of Mom's car and were watching their DVD and eating together - nice time.
We headed back to Mom's and Tony passed out for his nap and I was about to join him - this week is really pooping me out - when we got to Mom's I took almost a 2 hour nap. Mom filled the water table with warm water and the kids played. Judging by what was out when I woke up I think they did play-doh and kitchen play, too.
Rob called to tell me he was home - so the kids and I packed up and went home. I had a headache that was starting and it took forever to go away. We had a quick dinner before Ellie and I went over for camp orientation except once we got there I remembered I hadn't taken my xeloda before we left - so we stayed for the counselor introduction and then had to leave. The kids are now asleep and Rob and I are relaxing on the couch. Tomorrow after my treatment we will head up to Michigan for the weekend. Rob's Mom flew into town tonight and Dean took her up this evening. I am hoping I have enough energy to do something this weekend - I am yawning just thinking about work. First order of business when we arrive is to go buy a new mattress - it took me almost a week to recover from Memorial Day on that mattress.
I won't have an Internet connection until Sunday so I will write then - hope everyone has a nice weekend - visualizing my healthy body, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment