Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sweet 16

Another regular night here - Rob went up a bit early and I stayed up and watched the news. Ellie and Nick were both up way too early - the sunshine is killing my mornings. Ellie nicely took Nick downstairs to start breakfast and let me sleep a couple extra minutes. About 10 minutes later Ellie came up to tell me Nick begged for cherry jello for breakfast and she let him have a cup, however, he had spilled it on himself, the couch and the rug. Nick came up with a red spotted shirt and pants - time to get up. I soaked Nick's clothes in the sink and tried to get the red off his skin but it wouldn't all come out. We brushed teeth and got dressed.
Ellie packed her picnic lunch and Nick packed his "garage" (a paper shoebox) with some cars to take to Mom's. We got Ellie off to camp and traveled to Mom's. The boys picked out Curious George as their car entertainment and we were off to the hospital - sweet 16 today (only 12 more - but whose counting?) The lady who had the spot before me in radiation has finished her treatment so I noticed the new person isn't as prompt and my appointment is really 10:15 instead of 10:10 now. Treatment went quickly and I was cruising out of there. Mom picked me up and then we took a chance that the boys would behave so we could go to Bath & Body Works sale. It worked for about 3 minutes then they went nuts - the one saleslady actually knew them by name and was giving them lip balms to roll along the floor. I am quite sure they all drank after we left.
We went back to Mom's for lunch. According to the calendar today should be Nick's drink day and he pretty much hung true to that - sipper and sipper of milk or chocolate milk. We took the boys out the the deck for some water play in the water table. Nick ended up "washing" Mom's windows and watering the flowers - while Tony just drenched himself with water. We picked some mulberries to eat and eventually made our way in because it was too hot. Nick and I went to get Ellie and Tony knocked out for a nap.
Ellie had a great time min-golfing at camp today. I think its funny that she didn't want to do the batting cages because she has witnessed softball games during our church 4th of July picnics and she didn't want to get hurt - kids. We came home and hung out inside because Ellie spent the day outside and looked like she needed to be inside in the air. We ordered in some pizza and Rob came home jut before it was delivered. Gave the smelly kids baths and shampoos and got them into PJs. Early bedtime for the early risers.
I just got a call back from my BFN, Margaret. I am going to stop in and see her and Dr. Marsh tomorrow after radiation. I was told not to take my morning does of xeloda and that sometimes the neuropathy will heal itself with just a few days off xeloda. My hands feel slightly better today except for my thumb and pointer fingers. My feet are about the same - it looks like they are callused - I wonder if its my new gym shoes. I did some online research today and I know I don't want to have to add another medication to my day so I was looking for natural treatments and a couple suggestions were wearing crocs because of the nubbies on the bottom, rubbing feet and hands in with vitamin E or muscle rub - I will ask about these tomorrow. I still have the abdominal pain and in doing some xeloda research today I noticed that is also a side effect - as well as skin discoloration - I just hope mentioning this won't lead to another - hop on up to the exam table moments.
Well, I need to go take care of my feet and put my hot pad on my back - visualizing my healthy, neuropathy free body, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Hey Theresa. Ask about acetyl-l-carnitine for neuropathy. I took 1500mg/day and it really helped with my neuropathy. Hang in there!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete