Thursday, June 30, 2011

Plum is gone

I fell asleep on the sofa last night. I woke up at about 5AM with hip pain and contemplated going up to bed but stayed on the sofa until Rob came down to go to work. I went up to bed for an hour or so and my hip was absolutely killing me. I could not get comfortable in any position, with knee propped or legs bent. I tried Ellie's bed (firmer mattress) and I guess I was able to fall asleep there for a few minutes. Ellie came to get me to tell me the doorbell had rung.
I got the kids breakfast and started to pack Ellie's lunch. Ellie came upstairs with me and I handed her clothes for her and Nick. I took a shower because I figured I won't be able to get my skin wet for a few days. We dropped Ellie at camp and came back here so I could eat breakfast. Nick watched some tv and I checked email and then we packed up to go to Mom's house.
When we got there, Dad was outside with T, so we joined them. It was already so hot out this morning that we didn't last too long outside. We came in and I made a peanut butter apple roll up and had a glass of water before heading to the hospital. I checked in and was taken back to interventional radiology. I was given a lovely gown and slipper socks to wear.
I signed the consent form and was walked back to the room. Everything went quickly. One person was hooking me up to a blood pressure cuff and finger pulse meter. One person was prepping my skin with the green goo wash. One person was taping all the sheets to me. The PA, Kate, came in and told me she was ready to start. The lidocaine shot hurt like a good shot should hurt. About a minute later I was sufficiently numb and she began. I felt tugging and pulling and then she exclaimed it was out. We had to wait for all my tiny vessels to drain so I don't have a hematoma. My blood pressure was low today - 97/56 - 99/54 but pulse was high.
Kate sewed me shut and told me the name of a plastic surgeon at the hospital if I wanted to address the scar later. I got dressed and was given my discharge instructions. I stopped by Kellogg to talk with Stephanie, the social worker, about coming in for an hour or so with a setup for i2y. I have bracelets, pins, pens, posters and info to guide young adults to their website for info. Stephanie hadn't ever heard about them.
Oh, I forgot, I talked with Lisa at Immerman Angels this morning and I am officially in their database and can be matched any time now. I am very excited.
I went back to Mom and Dad's and the boys were playing. We stayed for a little bit before it was time to go pick Ellie up from camp. We stopped in at Steak n Shake for a shake, Nick tried a cherry limeade today. We got Ellie from camp and came home. Rob nicely took the kids straight to the pool to give me some time. I took an ativan before I went today and I was feeling drowsy after a crummy night of sleep.
As soon as they left, I curled up on the couch and was fast asleep. So deeply asleep that when the phone rang around 5PM, I was confused as to what day it was and where everyone was. I went back to sleep and slept until around 7PM. I got up and made dinner and that is when I first noticed the pain. A short throbby pain. It feels as if someone is piercing my skin about once a second with a dull pencil. Tylenol and arnica are not doing anything for this pain. An ice pack seems to work but I was told 15 minutes on 45 off and about 20 minutes into the off the pain is back.
Ellie and I went upstairs to read her book, we read until Ellie asked if we could stop. The storm that just went through was amazing with the lightening and thunder rolls. Amazed the kids slept through it. We finally settled on paint colors for the kids rooms and furniture today. Unfortunately, tomorrow will most likely be way too hot to paint the furniture outside.
This day has exhausted me. It was an extremely important day, the day that truly completes my cancer journey - the removal of the last medical necessity from cancer. I am hoping I will be able to get comfortable enough to get some decent sleep tonight. I can take another does of Tylenol around 2AM. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment