Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Halfway through the week

Nice surprise this morning, Nick went downstairs with Rob. He usually jumps in bed with me and makes noise and moves around until I finally get up. This morning, he asked to go down with Rob. He poured his own juice and Rob made him waffles. He sat on the couch and ate his breakfast and told Rob to go to work.
I came down with Ellie and we were both thrilled that Nick let us sleep in. I got Ellie breakfast and then jumped in the shower. We walked down to the bus and waited with Ellie and then came back home. I had enough time to make a pot of coffee and have a cup before we needed to get moving.
Nick and I went to KidSnips to get his haircut. He was a very good boy for Ms. Yvonne. His hair required all the fittings for her razor today. Nick has a handsome, short summer cut. He picked out a treasure from the box and a lollipop and we were on our way. I stopped in at Hallmark to pick up a teacher card and then graduation cards for our neighbors.
We came home and Nick had a yogurt and apricot for lunch. Mom and Dad called to say they were out in front - Nick ran right out. They took Nick for me so I could go and do a market research study. I was off to Northfield for the study - food test on fruit/yogurt fruit chews. I am hopeful that I get more calls from this place because it was close by and they paid well. Fruit chews not so tasty though.
I came home and picked Ellie up from the bus stop. Everyday she is coming home with her backpack filled with papers and books and crap. Today she had a rubbermaid container and binders. We went to Mom and Dad's to pick up Nick. Mom and Dad had gone shopping with Nick and Tony and had bought all the kids (Ellie, too) fedoras. Nick decided that he and T were the pickle brothers - I have no idea where that came from. The kids played together for a bit with legos and Ellie took their picture on Mom's computer.
We came home and got the kids ready for the pool. I applied sunscreen and that is when I noticed Nick's heat rash. It is terrible, it is all around his neck, under his arm pits and on his chest - poor kid. Ellie helped me pack up the bag with the towels and snacks and water and then Rob took them to the pool. I changed shirts and was on my way to the volunteer appreciation reception for Girls on the Run. It was up in Libertyville and I had a nice ride up. So many new stores opening up that way.
I got to meet some very lovely ladies tonight. I might train to be a site coordinator for the program. I visited with a coach from Buffalo Grove and we shared our stories. Emily, the volunteer coordinator, replaced the hat that was stolen on Saturday. I had some great food and then the most powerful mint. I came home and stopped at the produce market to pick up apples, carrot and cucumbers for the picnic tomorrow at Ellie's school.
I forgot to mention, it looks like I will be accepted into a research study from University of North Carolina. I sent my application in earlier this week it is called Fitnet. It is for cancer survivors and basically it helps you get active and physical again through facebook links. One group will get daily news about fitness and the other group will get weekly links to fitness pages. I get a pedometer and some cash and will hopefully learn some things along the way.
I have to say, the acetyl l-carnitine that I am taking for neuropathy actually says on the bottle "for cognitive health". I think my chemo brain is doing better. It was a bad foot day, it has been a week since I saw Patricia so maybe the acupuncture is wearing off. Patricia did tell me we need to attack the nerves regularly for the best success. My incision has been pulling a bit today and a tad bit uncomfortable.
Rob and I got to visit for a bit and he told me all about their pool adventures. I guess they stayed about 2.5 hours and the kids had a really good time. Ellie's friends from across the alley were at the pool and she played with them in the big pool while rob played with Nick in the kids part of the pool. I want to come up with another word for what I am right now. I have said it in the past, I don't care for survivor - I think Gloria Gaynor and Beyonce. I have been on this incredible journey the last year or so and I have come to the end of it - am I a winner, am I an explorer?
I have had quite a few people this week tell me that the my last year must have been horrendous, terrible, one I want to forget. I bring it around to, "It has been a journey." At times, I have felt this was a bad situation but I think overall, I have been 95% positive about this journey. I strongly believe that I have a purpose from this journey. My purpose is to show and tell doctors (and others) that this journey can be done gracefully, positively and most of all that my journey cannot be the same as anyone else's journey. I was told by how many people that the recovery from this last surgery could be bad - don't plan on leaving the house, some doubt their decision to reverse their ostomy, I might explode - none of that happened. I think I am here to provide the future journey takers with a range. I am hoping doctors might now say, "You could go right back to normal or you could be in the washroom for 3 weeks straight." ...Stepping off my soapbox, visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it was such a productive day. I think you started this journey as a player and you've ended it as a coach. You played the game of cancer, and yes, you are a winner. Your reward is you now get to play big time in the game of life! Congratulations...it's a wonderful team; loaded with winners and great team support players! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete