Saturday, June 4, 2011

Exhausted

I couldn't fall asleep last night which wasn't a great thing because I had to be up early this morning. Ellie and I got up a bit before 7AM. We got dressed, applied sunscreen and ate breakfast. We made it down to Montrose harbor in good time and were so fortunate to find a street spot to park in. Only problem was it was about a mile South of the harbor. We were both pouring sweat by the time we checked in at the volunteer tent.
We got to work taking medals out of the bags and hanging them on the racks. Ellie calculated that we probably hung close to 500 medals. It was so hot but we lucked out and had the rack that was partially under a tree. It was neat to see the race from a different perspective. They had almost 10,000 girls registered to race today. We handed out medals to the girls as they crossed the finish line. It was cool to see the girls responses - some stopped to read the medal, some gave hi fives and I heard I ton of "I (we/you) did it".
Ellie and I stayed until 11AM and she looked like she might pass out so we checked out and walked back to the car. Unfortunately, all the tents were already packed up so Ellie didn't get any swag. I stopped on the way back home at one of the ice cream trucks and Ellie picked out a snow cone. We got home and Rob and Nick were in the yard with the electrician. Apparently, in the 9 years since we built the garage the pipe we installed to run cable through has collapsed and it made their job complicated today.
I took the kids over to Oakton park for the bike safety rodeo. We registered their bikes with the village - just in case they are ever stolen or lost. The kids did the safety rodeo - about 4 stations that the kids had to maneuver through. We got safety lights and water bottles and then went over to see the police cars and fire trucks. The kids got to sit in the vehicles and press buttons and ask questions. It was soooo hot outside and it was time to have an air conditioning break.
We came home and had lunch and watched some cartoons while cooling off. After lunch the kids got on their swimsuits and we sunscreened up and went for some sprinkler time. I planted my veggies in the container gardens - I am hopeful for a great garden this year. I brought the kids in for bath time because everyone needed one today.
Rob took them to get a treat at the corner store and by the time they got back the rain had begun. We just had chill out and relax time the rest of the afternoon. I went to pick sandwiches up for Rob and me - the kids were having reheats. Rob finished the cabinet overlay for the basement and we got thing set up down there. I am exhausted and figured the kids probably were too so I started bed time early and both were asleep by 8PM.
I really thought my feet would hurt more than they do - positive sign. I am proud of Ellie for volunteering with me today - I know she would rather have been running. Considering the temperature and the amount of girls and the humidity - I was glad we weren't cleared to run the race. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment