Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Friday seems like such a long time ago...
I know our ride up to Michigan took forever. Traffic stunk. By the time we reached the S curve on Lake Shore Drive Nick told us he needed to use the washroom - great. A not so quick stop at Millennium Park for a washroom drop off and pick up. Then Ellie needed a washroom about 10 minutes late, Skyway McDonald's stop. We stopped for dinner/gas in Michigan City and then finally to the cottage - total time close to 4 hours. I walked with the kids down to the soda bar for ice cream. We came back and Rob pulled a tick off on Nick's shoulder - tick check for all of us.
Nana picked up a cold this week and was a bit under the weather this weekend. We finally had a warm enough weekend to be at the beach but the water is still very cold. Saturday morning we all went into town for Harborfest. We walked around the artique fair and all the little booths. We stopped in the kids favorite shop to browse. We walked through the farmers market and the kids had cookies and Rob had a red velvet cupcake. Nick asked for orange juice and exclaimed,"I've had real orange juice before but this stuff is real good."
We stopped into Captain Nemo's for ice cream and then walked down to the park to watch the entertainment. It was hot by then and there was no shade and Ellie asked if we could leave. We walked back to the car and then came home. I got a picnic lunch ready while Rob got the kids ready for the beach. We tried out our new beach chairs - not bad. The biting flies were terrible and plentiful. We were down at the beach for a couple hours but eventually the sky looked like it was going to open and pour.
We did bath time and then Rob, Nana and the kids went into town and I went the other way. I am looking for shoes to go with my new dress but had no luck. I was able to get Rob's Father's day present, new gym shoes, some socks and tights for Ellie and socks for Nick. It was really pouring rain and I didn't feel like braving any more mad dashes into stores so I went back home.
Nana and I made dinner and everyone enjoyed it.
Ellie and I ran into Walmart to refill our water supply. Markdown madness there - we got Ellie a couple pairs of jeans for $5 and a pair of shoes for the fall $5. We came back and got the kids ready for bed. Rob and I sat on the couch and visited until we were both tired. All day, I felt like I had something stabbing me in my foot but could not find anything in my shoe or foot. It was just halting pain.
Today we got up and had breakfast. Rob and Nana took the kids down to the beach and I started clean up. I vacuumed all the rugs - probably collected 10 pounds of sand. I washed out sheets and put them back on. I washed the curtains in the dining room and re-hung them. I took apart the drapery panels I bought at the thrift store and measured for the ottoman slip covers. I got the kids into the bath when they came home and poor Nick must have had a mosquito get caught in his shirt. He has about 10 bites on one shoulder and armpit. The bugs were brutal this weekend. We had lunch and Rob played a couple games with the kids while I packed us up. We were on our way home. Unlike Friday, our trip was just over 2 hours on the way home. The kids went straight out to play while Rob and I checked email and such. We went over to Mom and Dad's for dinner. Mom made the boys (and Ellie's) favorite ribs. We had sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, watermelon, berries and cherries. Jo had bought super soakers for Mom and me and the kids used them for a water fight.
Mom made chocolate covered strawberries for dessert and they were scrumptious. We let the kids play for a bit before we ventured home. We were all so full that I asked the kids if they wanted to take a walk with me. We got PJs on and tried to get the kids to bed - Nick had no interest.
I have been accepted into my 3rd cancer based research study now. I applied to one through Northwestern and was accepted. Other than my feet bothering me and now a few itchy mosquito bites it was a good weekend. We are home for a couple weekends now before we go up for vacation after camp ends. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. After a weekend away, our Sunday dinners just fly by...it's so great that we're together, but the visits pass so quickly. It was a nice afternoon...good chuckles! Here's to a good week...time is flying...it'll be the 4th in two weeks! Looking forward to Friday! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete