Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thrivership? that is a new one

Average night last night not too much to say about it. This morning, I woke up to Nick pushing right on my incision with his hand to climb over my body - just a tiny bit painful. I got the kids breakfast and jumped in the shower while they ate. I fixed Ellie lunch for camp. We worked on her crazy hairdo for crazy hair day. I gotta tell you it was c-r-a-z-y. I think we had 8 ponytails all over her head. A couple Polly Pocket dolls, a cat figurine, a Mr. Potato head hand and about a dozen decorative barrettes - she won the crazy hair day contest.
We dropped Ellie off at camp and then Nick and I came home for a little bit. I had another cup of coffee while Nick played with cars. We went to search for a dress that covered Plum up and then the subsequent scar up once Plum is gone. I went to TJ Maxx and found about 6 dresses to try on. Nick is fabulous to take with to try on clothes and will give you the most honest opinion in the world. I narrowed it down to 2 dresses and bought both because I couldn't decide. I thought I would try them on for Mom and Rob and see which one got the best reviews. One will be very easy to find shoes for the other not so much.
We went over to Mom and Dad's afterwards and I got lunch for Nick and me. Dad took the boys to play in the yard. I tried on the dresses for Mom and she couldn't pick out her favorite. They both look great but are very different styles. We had an extremely therapeutic laugh session this afternoon. I don't even know how to describe what we saw or heard via blog - all I will say is involved a completely naked Nick, a garden hose and a crapload of laughs.
We left and got Ellie from camp. She was very happy to have earned $8 camper dollars this week and that she will be named camper of the week tomorrow. We came home and the kids had snacks. I shuffled laundry from washer to dryer and folded the other load. I got the kids ready for the pool. Rob came home, quickly changed clothes and they were on their way to the pool.
I was on my way up to Cancer Wellness for the survivorship evening. It was mildly interesting. I was the youngest by at least 15 years - more like 20. I had to chose 2 breakout seminars so I had chosen family relationships and food facts and myths. In the family relationships there were so needy individuals and clearly the others families were not ones with 4 and 9 year olds (well, maybe their grandkids). The food facts I did learn the doctors point of view. She felt organic really is a waste of money and that you would be better buying local. There is no difference in organic milk vs regular old Deans, organic eggs mean nothing and all US grown produce must have a water soluble pesticide that a simple scrub in water will remove.
I am glad I went because it was my first opportunity to attend an event as a survivor but I am an enigma. I listen to how a vegetarian lifestyle doesn't lend itself to cancer - really? I hear about how this food is good for breast, prostate or uterine cancer prevention but there really isn't anything out there about rectal cancer. All I really came to realize is eating is no longer fun once you are a cancer survivor.
I talked to Mom on the ride home and then talked to Rob for a long time once I got home. Some crazy things transpired in our lives today and it just really brings to life what is and isn't important in life. Some people are just plain out crappy people sometimes and some people just like the sound of their own voices. News of the day - I had my first nuts today in 9 months. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment