Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

I think I need to stop sleeping on the couch and just head up to bed when I am tired but I was up forever last night. I watched Saturday Night live and then some foodtv - went up around 3AM. Nick and Ellie were up early and I got to sleep in AGAIN - wow must be my birthday this week or something. The kids and I stayed home and Rob went to church. Ellie helped me pack trick or treats for our neighbors and family and then I got to work of lego robot man's costume. Rob had painted the parts yesterday and punched out the lego holes but I had to still cut out the head, arms and bottom and seal the back and then find a way to transform the lego into lego robot. Duct tape was the solution - I sealed the back and then applied it to all seams - lego robot complete.
I was able to take a quick shower before we headed to Mom and Dad's for family Sunday. Ellie went as Jasmine from Aladdin and Nick was Harry Potter Lego Robot. Mom put out a wonderful spread fro brunch - all my faves - broccoli cheese quiche, bagels with all the toppings, potato pancakes, fruit salad - it was hard to limit my intakes. Mom had a chocolate chip coffee cake as my birthday cake - how awesome is that? We had a great brunch - the kids ate well and played well - I got some awesome pictures. Ole gave Ellie the crocs he had hand-painted for her - they "are awesome - no one can have them because they aren't at stores." Pretty cool. It was a great Halloween birthday brunch and I felt the love.
We came home for a bit of quiet time before trick or treating - it was half way successful. Ellie did another costume change - Dorothy from Wizard of Oz - but a hipper Dorothy with polka dotted tights and black mary janes and a fleece coat...
We got dressed and I did the first trick or treat run around our block - a couple of our neighbors were home and enjoyed seeing the kids dressed up. All Nick really wanted to do was ring the doorbells but I realized that a bunch of people have doorbells that are like 5' off the ground. We did the block and came home to dump the bags and switch parents. I did home trick or treat while Rob took them to the next block. Switched again but as soon as the sun went down it got cold - my hands were cold and the wind picked up. Nick actually laid down in the middle of the street and said his feet hurt too much to walk anymore - I have to tell you the process of a kid laying down when they are wearing a box is very funny. Ellie was a big help and she carried all of Nick stuff home while I carried him home - we were done trick or treating.
Ellie had fun answering the door and seeing her friends. We stayed here until the doorbell stopped ringing as much and then we left a basket of treats on the porch and went back to Mom's to trick or treat at her neighbors. We started at the Shaw's house - I babysat for their their children and I also worked at their dental office during high school and college. It was wonderful - we got to visit with Meg and Frank and their oldest daughter Stephanie was home - it was great to see what a beautiful lady she has become. We talked until Nick was pulling on my sweater to leave. It is funny what houses the kids ask to visit year after year - Ellie was asking to go to the cat house and I couldn't figure it out until we past it on the way to Mom's. We went to Mom and Dad's neighbors, Katherine (said thanks for the lovely Halloween bags she had made for us) and Carol - she has been Mom and Dad's neighbor as long as I can remember and she always look forward to seeing the kids.
We did a costume change - Nick tried on Tony's Woody costume and Tony tried on Nick's lego robot. It was too funny and they both looked very good in each others costumes. We all snacked on brunch leftovers and us adults had some wine to relax. Mom and kids helped me change Scarlett for Halloween - no she didn't really dress up although Mom really wanted her to carry a trick or treat bag for the day. We said our goodnights and went home - it has been one big adventurous weekend.
We had vitamins, nose/saline spray (Dr. Schaeffer told us we needed to start this up again especially with Nick to keep him well) and inhalers and then pjs and bed. I have pictures of the kids that I would be happy to share with anyone who wants to see them - Rob and I don't post the kids pics online - either to my blog or to facebook. I am enjoying a mug of tea and I am trying to wind down. Ellie has the day off of school tomorrow and we are heading to Navy Pier for the day - I need my energy re-stored. Visualising my healthy body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment