Thursday, October 21, 2010

Man oh man has it been a long day

I kicked Rob off the couch during the new last night - I needed to stretch out. I found that Discovery Health had on a documentary from a couple years ago called Crazy, Sexy Cancer. It was about a 31 year old woman who had incurable cancer and through this documentary she tells her story but also interviews other young women with cancer. It was very interesting because, even though, it was a couple years old some of the things she did were still pretty current thinking. Knowing it was incurable she sought very "out there" ideas and alternatives but ended up with the alkaline pH diet - an idea that is still current. Basically, the majority of society has a diet that leads to very acidic levels on the pH scale and low and behold when you have a diet that is more alkaline the less prevalent cancer is. It was bizarre - she took in wheat grass in a number of ways - only one being by mouth. Reading up on it today though a number of cancer patients with incurable types (or advance staged) try this diet and see their tumors shrink. It also brought light to the whole wig thing and made me think if I do need a wig I am going outrageous and not conventional because they do look like wigs.
Rob once again left when Nick came for his nightly visit - Ellie slept in until 7:20 and went straight downstairs. Nick slept through my alarm going off and I left him in bed while I got clothes together and went down to fix Ellie breakfast. Around 8 I tried to wake him up and it took about 5 minutes but he eventually rallied and came downstairs. We walked Ellie to the bus stop and then I ate breakfast and fed Nick. I tried a new method today - we didn't mention school until I was ready to walk out the door with him - I think it might have been the worst morning yet. He ran to the kitchen cart for me to pull him from - I just told him I didn't have it in me today and he sort of listened but it got bad when we got to the car. Nick tried to run away but I was able to stop him but one of his shoes fell off - I told him some neighbor was going to see us in the car and call the police and he straightened up and let me buckle him in but the other shoe was missing - found half way under the car. Nick cried the entire way to school - I carried him in and the teacher told me he adjusts quickly and this is just his effort to pull at my heart - I know this but is doesn't make it any easier each day.
I took a trip out to my favorite thrift shop with the goal of adding a couple new tops or sweaters to my wardrobe but everything was either not my size or was priced too close to retail. I was going to go to Salvation Army on the way home but I had to a) use the washroom and b) the construction on Dempster makes my fave Salvation not my fave right now. I came home and decided to tackle the basement today - as soon as I got downstairs the phone rang - it was Rob and we talked for a couple minutes. After we hung up the phone rang almost immediately, I picked it up thinking it was Rob again but it was the school secretary saying Ellie had a slight fever and had just vomited. I said I would be right over and quickly checked the calendar on my way out - sure enough, 30 days from the last migraine. I got to school and signed Ellie out and found out it started with a headaches again on her right side - the secretary told me this was useful info to have seeing as how Ellie didn't quite make it to a receptacle in time.
Ellie and I came home and I made us some tea and she crashed on the couch. I did a bit of googling for info on hormonal induced migraines because that is what I think is happening to Ellie. I have marked our calendar for next month and we will start a bit of a restricted diet on day 27 and start preventative arnica and see what happens. Ellie took the ride with me to pick up Nick - he came rushing out with a huge smile. There were 2 birthdays today at school with cupcakes and goodie bags. We came home and the kids chilled out and watched tv - I made Nick lunch and made Ellie a baked potato. I tried to get the kids to take a nap with no success but I did close my eyes for a bit.
Nick shared with Ellie that he had a time out in school today - I am not sure if this actually happened or not. Nick was on destruction path today - every time I would clean something up he would come by and make a mess. Ellie and I went downstairs to clean up - Nick was busy watching tv but came screeching downstairs that he opened the window in the back room and there was a dog in our yard. This is when Rob came home which was good timing because I was starting to flip out. Ellie and I finished straightening up while Nick was upstairs - I started dinner and Nick was quiet. Rob walked in and started freaking out - Nick had found a tube of diaper cream in a bin and started applying it to his face like shaving cream - when Rob walked in he started smearing it all over the carpet and couch. Clean up number one gillion today.
We have a nice dinner together but Nick only wanted applesauce and bread, Ellie only ate a couple bites because once she felt better this afternoon she had a couple bowls of cereal. It was bedtime - we did vitamins and got pjs on and Rob went up with Nick - Ellie and I cuddled on the couch. Ellie went up to bed and here I am blogging. For whatever reason before dinner I started having what I would have previously (over 2 months ago) called gas pains but those don't really exist anymore - just a real bad stomach ache. Visualising my healthy body, my continued un-remarkable xeloda course and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment