Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Novembers

I was not really too tired last night and watched 190 North and then the Sister Wives news interview and fell asleep on the couch sometime during that - didn't wake up until almost 4:00. We were up early and had plans for the day - Ellie had the day off of school for a teacher institute day. We had breakfast and slowly got dressed and got our stuff together. We were off to Navy Pier for the morning.
We had a nice drive down - it was a beautifully, sunny day and Nick kept on telling us we were going to Michigan - because we were following the same path down Lake Shore Drive. We got to the pier and started at the Children's Museum - I cannot tell you how much I seriously love Chicago Children's Museum - it is never crowded and it is so low key compared to Kohls. The kids did their favorite exhibits - the fire house and butterflies, the invention station and dino digs and then we did the new exhibits - toys from Mexico. They have a DIY toy workshop that we spent a bit of time at - Ellie made a puppet and Nick made a car. There was a giant chair that the kids sat in and there were tons of toy to look at. Unfortunately, the favorite rope tunnel was under construction but we will check it out next time.
We went to the crystal garden for the El dia de los Muertos exhibit - unfortunately, this has become a money maker for the museum and everything was a charge this year. We did decorate a sugar skull because Ellie has been talking about it since we got our decorations out in October. Ellie was very detailed and Nick made his look like Medusa. We did find two artists who were kind and neglected to look for our hand stamp and taught us their crafts. Ellie made a tissue paper flower and then both Ellie and Nick made paper boats. There were a couple ofrendas and a community ofrenda that Ellie left a note at. The artist who taught us how to make the boats suggested that Ellie might want to turn her note into a boat to leave on the ofrenda - which she did.
We stopped at Garrett's for some cheese and brown popcorn - that is what Nick told the man behind the counter he wanted - the Chicago mix - cheese and caramel. We sat at a table and ate our popcorn - I knew I wasn't going to be able to have a bag of Garrett's in front of me and not partake so I slowly let each kernel melt on my tongue - really not the same but the taste was there. I realized that both kids really like the cheese more than the caramel but will eat both eventually.
We left the pier and took a chance we would be able to find a spot to street park for the zoo and we did. I took the stroller because Nick has been complaining about his feet lately and we had already walked the pier but I realized soon my hand were not so happy about pushing the stroller. The skin between my thumb and pointer finger feels like it has been burned with boiling water - I know the feeling because I have had it happen - it is more prominent on my left hand. We had a great time at the zoo - again, not very crowded but most of the animals were sleeping. The crews were already setting up zoolights cannot believe how quickly the time is flying.
We walked and looked through most of the zoo and then made our way back to the car. It was a super quiet ride home and I kept looking in the mirror because they were so quiet. I pulled over on Ridge near Touhy to answer my phone and Ellie told me Nick was asleep - sure enough he was passed out. I talked to Mom for a bit before deciding to just head over to her house. Nick transferred from the carseat to the bed without trouble and Ellie, Mom and I sat out on the porch and visited. Mom and I did some research on places to stay for our fall trip - we think we found the place. We usually go away during October but because of a bunch of reasons our trip was postponed and we are aiming for the weekend of Thanksgiving. I had emailed a couple of house rentals - the way we usually go because of the number of bedrooms we need but no one contacted me back but we found a hotel that looks pretty cool.
Nick woke up a bit before 4 - I thought this was good for bedtime but time told a different story. We stopped at Target to check out the post-Halloween clearance - we left with a couple bag fulls of papergoods, cereal, brownie mix and knick knacks for next Halloween. We came home and I started dinner- I was craving homemade mac and cheese with durkees onions on top. We heard some wonderful news from our Millie friend, Kelly, tonight - she and her husband are expecting their first baby. Ellie went right to work making them a card while Nick watched some dvd. We had dinner and I took a quick shower. Rob and Ellie went upstairs to read and go to bed - Nick and I watched Dancing with the Stars. I took Nick up for bed time tonight - I knew it was not going to be quick because of the nap but it wasn't bad.
It has been a long day but a beautiful one that we were able to enjoy outside. I told Ellie I bet we walked our 5k today - it was just collective and over a couple hours - she humphed at me. I am having a glass of wine - I need to take my ativan and relax - I am running late tonight. Visualising my healthy body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Tree. Did you make the Mac &. Cheese, or would you like me to make it for your birthday dinner? Your wish is my command...you know I'm good for those food cravings. It was a perfect day for you and the kids to enjoy together...glad you took advantage of the fun! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete