Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Whoa will Wednesday never end?

I watched the news and then played on the computer while sort of watching Jay Leno. I think I went up somewhere around midnight but all the nights seem to run together now. Nick came in to our Rob just after 6 and he climbed in bed with me to warm up and fall back asleep. Ellie got about a couple minutes before me but Nick slept in. I packed up lunch for Ellie and got her some clothes to wear and some crazy socks (crazy sock or hair day at school today). I heard the patter of tiny feet upstairs and went up to get Nick. Ellie waited as long as she could before going out to the bus - still majorly windy here today. I called Mom to let her know Nick and I were going to come over but not before whatever was on tv finished. Mom told me she was finishing the Woody vests today so I should ask Nick to bring his cowboy gear.
Nick and I went downstairs to rummage through the costume box for his cowboy hat and then we decided he needed his new cowboy belt Grams bought him - except it was adult size so it kept falling off of him. Nick and I took it into the workshop and I originally tried to use one of Rob's drills to drill a new hole - didn't work because the battery died. I found the tap tool and was able to work with a hammer to tap a hole through the leather - still to big - second try was a success. We then put the leather part of Nick's tool belt through the belt as his holster. Nick went through the closet to find his (still to big) Woody cowboy boots. We got our stuff ready and were off to Mom's.
I poured Mom and I a cup of tea and we went to the porch to play and Mom finished the awesome Woody vests - complete with personalized sheriff badges Dad bought back from Colorado for T and Nick. I rummaged through Mom's beads and set the boys up to do play-doh. I tried to help Mom out by organizing the book shelf and the toy cabinet. The boys were ready for a different activity so we traded out to felt boards and Nick really had a good time - T not soo much. We went inside to have lunch and cool off - Mom's porch got to be over 100 degrees with the solar heat today - that was with the doors open.
As I got to Mom's today I got a call back from Margaret and next Wednesday is port day - I am trying to work through my nervousness and anxiousness without being too stressed out. Margaret did say I should take my big dose of ativan the night before. Margaret wished me luck for the race - I need to get out walking. After lunch I tried to help Mom plan the menu for family Sunday - we are moving it up a week so the GGs and Uncle Bill can see everyone in costume. Mom has been asking for requests - Nick asked for chocolate muffins, Ellie for bagels Rob said whatever to which Mom said quiche (not one of Rob's faves) and I have just thrown general ideas around - eggs, potatoes, chocolate.
I played a couple round of doopa round up with the boys and then we decided blocks might be a better choice. Nick and I eventually had to say goodbye but Nick cried as soon as we got to the car. He insisted the entire ride home that I should bring him back to Grams and then I could get Ellie and come back to get him. We got home and Nick helped me fix some of our decorations that had blown over and we came inside to cuddle. A huge wind gust came and we heard big noise out front - our screen door had blown open in the wind and the wind was so strong that it pulled the screws straight out of the closure mechanism (an example of chemo brain - I honestly cannot think of the part I am trying to convey here). I pulled the screen shut and locked the lock - I don't think it will ever be the same again. Nick and I got ready to get Ellie and he had another melt down because he didn't have all his Woody gear on to surprise her with.
Ellie came off the bus with her beautiful school pictures - I cannot believe how she has changed since kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. Ellie did her homework and Nick and I sat on the couch watching Cat in the Hat. Ellie and Nick and some scarrots for a snack - Ellie with ranch dressing and Nick with peach kefir. Nick and Ellie went downstairs to play and when I went down to see what they were up to Nick had his Harry Potter wizard hat on with the Harry Potter fake glasses - seriously laughed until my side hurt. Ellie told him that is what he should be for Halloween (costume change #5 in just over 24 hours). They came upstairs to dance to the music and Nick announced he was going to be a Harry Potter Lego robot - good thing we have a costume box.
We had an early dinner because the kids both had appointments with their allergist this evening. Nick didn't want to go and dressed like Woody and finally gave in. Ellie is 4'8" tall and Nick is 3'5" - I knew they were growing but seriously - Ellie is less than a foot away from me now. We had a good appointment - Nick has begun his Fall swelling and we need to start the nasal rinse everyday now because the mold count is very high. In light of my health and their allergist having a supply of flu shots available I opted to have them get them tonight. Ellie was first and was the very best example for Nick - I jumped on the table and held Nick but didn't secure his arm enough because when the needle touched his arm he jerked and she had to stick him again. I haven't heard him cry like that in so long - it is a totally different cry than his meltdown cry. It took a couple minutes to calm him down enough that I could set him down and get our stuff together. You know it is bad when you pass people in the waiting room and they are just oogling you. We got to the car and I had originally promised a trip to CVS to replenish our supply of gummy spiders if the kids were good but in light of Nick truly being in pain I didn't know if it was going to happen. I asked him when we got to the car and he said no he was hurt and had to go home but as I turned out of the parking lot he changed him mind. The entire way to CVS he talked about the doctor visit and how he never wants to go back and the nurse hurt him and she wasn't nice - hopefully he will stay well and we won't need to see her again until April.
We got to the store and Nick reminded me his arm hurt and I should only hold him a certain way - I was thinking of a cart but he needed some extra love. So - last week when we were at CVS Mom and I found this toy called a Sing-a-ma-jig and were underwhelmed at its performance in the store but have since read about it as "the toy of the year" in at least 6 different places. Needless to say Ellie and Nick are the proud owners of a red and yellow one now for being extra brave. We got home and they played with their ma-jig's for a couple minutes while I got vitamins ready. Rob had to work late tonight and tomorrow - he is still not home - so I had bedtime tonight and it had been a long day with Nick. The kids brushed their teeth and I helped them out of their shirts to minimize arm pain. Nick asked if I would hold him for a while - he wanted to lay on my shoulder so we did that but I got him into bed finally. Ellie read in bed while I got Nick to sleep and then I went in to tuck her in. I told her that her arm might hurt for the next day or so and she was sure hers wouldn't hurt but Nick's would.
I am having a cup of tea and blogging - the wind is still howling outside. I am gearing up for the next couple days - Friday is going to be a really long day between school parties and all that needs to be done for them. I am still dealing with some residual side effects of xeloda - hopefully they will go away shortly. Although, I didn't get the neuropathy this time I have noticed my hand strength is not what is was - when I tried to change the battery pack out on Rob's drill this morning I could not squeeze the release buttons hard enough to get them to release.
I am again asking if you have an extra moment to spare for positive thoughts, wishes or prayers if you would include our very dear friend in them. Visualising my healthy body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment