Sunday, October 3, 2010

It has been a never ending day

Rob came home around 10 last night - we watched some tv and both decided to go up around 11:30. I had only a little trouble falling asleep last night but I couldn't get into a deep sleep. Typical morning - Nick crawling in bed and attempting to get me up except today had the added bonus of Nick telling me the bed was wet - ok - I am up. Stripped the sheets and mattress pad and Nick. It was a hurried morning - Ellie had the opportunity to sing with the children's group at church and I wanted to go to hear her but she needed to be there early to practice.
We got to church just a couple minutes late - we got to preview Ellie singing while we waited. We sat in the back row - my first public experience with my ilestomy and I was just hoping it would behave and not make too many embarrassing noises - which it really didn't. Nick wouldn't go to nursery unless I came with him - so I stayed with him and we played with the trains. When service was over the children's group got together to sing - I was proud of Ellie. Our friend Jill gave me a goodie bag of anti-oxidants - I have to confess that it was opened as soon as we got home.
We stopped at Menards on the way home and picked up a couple new things for Halloween - our new neighbors are making our house look pitiful. We got a pumpkin and ghost that light up for the front windows and some bat lights we are hoping to hang from the second floor and some ghost lawn stakes. We came home and I crashed on the couch for a little bit but woke up in time to go to the open house for the new Skokie police department.
We tried to find parking in the 3 parking lots they had reserved for the open house - it was packed. We finally found a spot and walked over - Nick insisted on wearing his police costume with this hat (it is a multi-purpose hat but truly a pilot hat). We waited in line about 30 minutes before we were led in. It is a beautiful, light and airy building compared to the dark cave like building they are currently in. We got to see all the station but the department hasn't moved in yet so we really saw a bunch of empty desks and cubicles. It is funny, I think of Skokie being sort of small but yet we now have this huge police station and when you hear how many officers and investigators there are you kind of wonder what you don't know about your city. About half way through the tour we pulled ahead of our group - the new carpet smell and the smell of rubber were getting to me and I was starting to feel a bit sick.
We left with our goodie bags - police badges, pencils and rulers and headed to Mom's for family Sunday. Grandma and Grandpa GG were already there - they brought pizza - yum. Jo, Ole and and Tony didn't join us because Jo wasn't feeling so well - missed them. We had a nice dinner - Mom made roasted butternut squash, applesauce and had a salad and sliced mango to go with the pizza. Mom even had a separate bowl of avocado for me separate from the salad. We ate and had nice conversation - Nick ate caveman style and neglected to use his utensils - kind of interesting with applesauce. After I finished eating I passed out on the sofa - I was striving for a nap but it kind of just happened - Dad pulled a blanket out and covered me and that was it. Uncle Bill came while I slept and dessert was served - I couldn't eat another thing - even the carrot cake I had requested.
We left pretty soon after I woke up - we came home and put some of the ghost stakes together. I changed out all of our sheets - put flannel on the kids beds. Got some more laundry done before getting the bath ready for Nick - Rob gave him his bath. Ellie finished the ghosts and took a quick shower. Nick did some puzzles and Ellie played Webkinz - I took a couple advil and found my hot pad - my shoulder is killing me (I think it was the cold air from the window adjacent to my side of the bed - I had it open a wee bit for fresh air and I think it was too cold last night). It is funny - Dr. Muldoon talked about how I would just feel the need to sleep - it hasn't been like that the last 3 weeks but it sure caught up to me this weekend.
Rob just got the kids to sleep and I am enjoying my nightly glass of vino. I forgot to include this last night - my girlfriend, Julie feels we should name my stoma - it should be entitled to an identity. I can't think of a name and she can't either - she thinks it shouldn't be anything warm, cuddly or nice - I am indifferent. Jules also is anticipating a bon voyage party for it at the end where we can ceremoniously say, "here lies ______" or "______ been good to me" or something along those lines. I did say to Rob this weekend that I think I was lied to - Dr. Marsh told me this past summer that in his opinion after I had completed the chemo/radiation combo that he felt I was finished with the most difficult part of this 3 part journey. With the whole hospital mess, this new body they have left me with (with attachments), the not being able to cuddle with my kiddos like I used to or pick them up - I think this 2nd part was harder for me. I did some reading about colorectal chemo drugs - there are about 8 of them - I will know this week what my cocktail will be but the side effects are similar to the ones I had with xeloda - nausea, low white blood count, hand and foot syndrome, tiredness - an added bonus is that apparently hair loss is not in the top 10 - hair thinning is.
Visualising my healthy body, my continued healthy recovery and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment