Friday, October 8, 2010

Its been a long day

Rob and I watched our usual Thursday night dramas - getting boring and predictable. Rob went up during the news - I watched something - can't remember - I think food network. I slept better than I thought I was going to sleep - I guess I was emotional exhausted. I so wanted to sleep this morning and Nick would not let me and I was so worried I was going to hear the bed is wet that I just got up. Ellie got dressed and to the bus stop - Rob has been watching her from the window this week. I talked with Mom early and heard that little T-Bone (Tony) had been asking about his TT for the past 2 days and I said I would be over - Nick originally said no he wasn't going to join me but then came around.
I have spent the last 24 hours or so googling - I know it is bad but I cannot help myself I am of that age bracket. The side effects are a bit more than I thought originally - apparently the neuropathy this time around could be worse (I have heard of wearing gloves and layers of socks and that the lips could be involved). Some people have said it completely wipes them out for the first 3-4 days after infusion. The nausea is apparently worse with the combo of drugs. Margaret showed me the 5-FU pack I will go home with - oddly enough shaped like a giant pill with hash marks of the side. The needle that goes into the port is a stiff needle about 2" in length - silly me I though this port was threaded through a vein and and might be somewhat lets say move-able but no this needle is 2" straight in. I was instructed on the kinks that could happen - the needle (that is bandaged to me and taped multiple places along the tubing) could somehow come out, the clamps could become closed by accident or the tubing could become kinked - sounds wonderful.
I showered and Nick and I went to Mom's. I brought along some foam fall crafts and Nick requested paint. The boys had there usual territory battles - I finally had a piece of carrot cake and Nick said he wanted one too. It was really good and Nick ate his entire piece. We went out to the porch to do crafts - the boys each made a door hanging and a sign. I was super cold and went to the couch and covered up with a blanket and that is when the boys went nuts. Tony came over to me to cuddle and I really thought he might nod off he had his head on my shoulder for a long time but no such luck. Nick seeing Tony cuddling rushed over to take his place - push, shove, push, shove. Mom tried to take Nick in the house to play and I tried to cuddle T-bone but no such luck. We joined Mom and Nick in the house but it was much colder than the sun room.
We ended up deciding to make a trip to Costco - I drove my car home and Mom and T met us here. Nick decided to stay with Rob and drive his newly charged jeep while Mom, T and I went to the store. I found a microwave to replace the burnt popcorn microwave - since the popcorn burned it smells of burnt popcorn, doesn't seem to have as much power and simply looks gross. I decided on the middle of the line microwave - it is bigger than the one we had but looks nice. It was fun to look through Christmas and the holiday stuff. We picked up lunch on the way out and headed back home. We ate a quick lunch together before Nick jumped in his jeep with T and were off to get Ellie off the bus. I told Nick yesterday that the Jeep doesn't leave the sidewalk so he stopped the jeep about 5' from the curb to wait for Ellie.
Nick and Tony rode around until the battery died out and then moved onto golf and the slide. Ellie wasn't too happy with me today - I have declared the trampoline next door off limits - both of the kids have been injured on it and its just a matter of time before we end up with a cast for a broken bone. Jo came and picked up Tony and Mom went home - we called the kids inside and they went and played downstairs. Our neighbor, Kevin brought Rob over a drink and they sat outside in the nice weather enjoying - I joined them with a glass of vino (ironically the kids were downstairs and we were outside). Kevin's brother and family came over and we had such a nice visit. The kids came back out and played - Nick was nice and actually shared his toys. We were out until the sunset.
We had dinner downstairs so we could could stream a netflix - which tonight was Pink Panther cartoons. After we had dinner the kids tried on costumes from our costume box to see what might work for Halloween. Nick looks very cute as Winnie the Pooh but the dragon and Elmo are also contenders but he hasn't given up hope on the box he has named Robbie the Robot. Ellie fits into a couple ice skating costumes we have picked up at rummage or yard sales but also fits Jasmine (Aladdin) and Snow White -the nice thing about trying on costumes is we were able to put a few into the donation bag because they simply are too small. I don;t think we have any firm decisions on Halloween but it was a bunch of laughs.
Rob took Nick up to bed and Ellie and I watched some tv before she went up. I just got off the phone with Uncle Bry - he called to check in and talk - we will see him for Thanksgiving. I think it is total psycho-semantic but my lower back is killing me today. My plan for the weekend is to soak up the sun - I will once again need to hide from it when I start xeloda. No good sales I have read about this weekend - kind of a bummer but oh well. Dean is coming over tomorrow for a visit - he has needed a month to re-coup from the last outing - just kidding. Still looking for positive collective thoughts on the ring coming out in the next couple days, Visualising my healthy body, my healthy recovery and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment