Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Unwanted side effects

This is just a highlight post - the neuropathy is so bad my fingers are actually curling up and it is difficult to do anything but let them curl. We did some ornament work this morning and Rob went to help friends with their new speakers. The kids and I joined Mom and Dad for a Costco trip - so crowded. I got mid day nausea - actually took a bag in the car with me.
We went to Mom and Dad's house and Rob met us over there. We played around for a little bit and eventually cruised off to the Skokie Swift station for the CTA holiday express (aka the Polar Express). Jo and Tony met us at the station. We only had to wait a few minutes for the train to pull up and were all able to sit together. Santa came by to say hi and the kids got to see Mom and Dad's house from the train. We had to get off and go around to catch the train back but the first train that showed up wasn't the holiday train so we waited - well we ended up taking a regular train because I was freezing. The other new side effect is when my nose and mouth are not covered by a scarf it feels like razor blades in my throat and up my nose - bizarre and not so pleasant. The neuropathy began in my feet today but hands are definitely the worst. By the time we got back to the Skokie station I had to have Rob turn the key in the ignition and then it took me about 3 minutes to finally gain enough finger strength to un-fasten my seat belt. This is the worst I have ever had it - I couldn't take the cups off the counter at Starbucks and it took me about 5 minutes to be able to have enough confidence to pick up my cup to take a sip.
On our way back to the car Nick fell in a huge puddle of water. I dropped Nick and Rob off at home and Ellie and I went back to Mom's for a Scarlett change (finally good again) she has new breakdown areas that aren't even under the adhesive. Mom is having sympathetic neuropathy but volunteered to sew the rest of my decorations on the scarfs for me because there is no way I have the dexterity to do that right now. That is what bothers me the most - just not being able to do simple things because I simply can't.
Ellie and I came home and Rob and Nick were watching the Polar Express on tv - they watched a bit more while Rob and I had a sandwich for dinner. I got Nick to sleep and Rob got Ellie to sleep. I have a nice cup of cinnamon tea and I sit here blogging - well kind of. I have my disconnect tomorrow and cannot wait to have one less thing hanging around my body. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body, for this neuropathy to go away and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment: