Saturday, December 4, 2010

Snow - oh such fun

Rob and I have had this odd sleeping pattern the last couple nights -when I make it up to bed he is usually waking up and then we both toss and turn in bed for a bit and then Rob goes downstairs to watch tv for a bit. The kids were up, then Rob and I got to sleep in - woohoo. When I went up last night the snow had begun to fall and there was a thin coat but this morning it really looked beautiful on all the trees. Rob saved me a cup of coffee and I had some breakfast and then we started to get ready.
Ellie choose the outfit she wanted to wear for Mom's luncheon today and I dressed Nick in Red - Ellie took a quick shower and Rob took Nick out to shovel - without snow pants. While I blow-dried Ellie's hair and had fun curling it into a dramatic flip - Nick was making snow angels and shoveling the snow right over his head - needless to say he required an outfit change when he came in.
Rob was off to finish the bookcase at Christi's and the kids and I were off to the "log cabin" church for there holiday vendor fair and open house. The log cabin has just been remodeled over the last year and seemed much warmer than last year. We were able to a bit of shopping at the vendor fair - it is never good to take the kids were they are sampling food items - we ended up with chocolate covered pecans and some Tastefully Simple and Avon. Santa was in the one room (funny side story - Santa was Ellie's teachers husband). Ellie had no problem telling Santa what she would like - except every time we have seen Santa and she has mentioned Japanese erasers Santa looks at her with questionable looks - maybe its because they are like $1.00 a piece or they don't make it on to many children lists. Nick, of course, would not leave my back - an old friend from a Mom and Me class was there and offered to take a picture of the 3 of us with Santa and we have this picture that looks like I have a bag beside me but no, it's Nick hiding.
We finished with Santa and the kids were offered hot cocoa and cookies to enjoy in the adjoining room. I got to visit with Ellie's teacher, Mrs. Bart for a few minutes and we were able to discuss the upcoming holiday party. We moved onto the craft room and found Catherine (Ellie's BFF) and Randy (Christi's husband). The kids diligently worked on their Christmas tree crafts and I got to have a very nice visit with Randy. Christi and Susannah came and the kids continued to work on crafts - Nick stamped his hands completely red. We stopped by the bake sale and picked up some cookies - they had log cabin cut out and decorated cookies that we picked up for the party today. We said goodbye to our friends and were on our way to Mom's.
I got the kids inside and then went out to shovel the walkway - the snow was heavy and wet - I got 80% finished and Jo pulled up and I asked her to take over - I was out of breath. We went inside and we got to work helping Mom out. Mom's theme this year was a tea - I assembled the chicken salad croissants and the egg salad sandwiches and I put too much loose tea in the tea holder - I didn't know loose tea needs to expand. The ladies showed up and we had a very fun and festive lunch - so wonderful to visit and laugh. Mrs. B commented that my eyes were very blue today and Mom said it was because of the 5FU and I said yes indeed it is very exclusive - a bi-weekly infusion that enhances my eyes. Tasty food, good drinks and great friends.
We stayed until all the ladies had left and visited a bit more - the kids got their advent goodies - in honor of Hanukkah they got a driedel and gelt tonight. We drove Miss Kate home on our way home and the kids had convinced me to put up the tree tonight. We got home and Rob pulled up the tree and the ornament boxes and I got to work checking the lights - we had a couple strings that were only half lighting up. Ellie helped me with the tree but I have to be honest - I really like to do the tree and the lights alone - I have it down to a science and I know which branches go where and how to groom them to make the tree not look fake. I really like the lights this year - I think we have 1,000 lights on the tree and it really looks balanced and bright. Rob made us some cocoa and then took Nick up for a bath so I could finish the garland.
The kids helped put the ornaments up - well I actually let them do the bottom 5 feet of the tree - I got the top foot. So there are multiple ornaments on a branch and parts that have no ornaments but they did it and were pleased with how it looks. Rob heated up dinner for us and we sat and ate a quick dinner before Rob took Nick up for bed and Ellie and I watched the end of Cupcake Wars. Ellie went up and I am sitting enjoying a mug of tea and blogging. I had such a great time today and I just love how our home feels so cozy. I don't know why it took me so long but I just realized I could stream Pandora on my i-touch and they have a swing Christmas station that we had going tonight - feeds into the cozy feel. I am feeling so good - no real aches or pains - hoping those platelets are rebuilding and the potassium level is soaring. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. It was a wonderful day...thanks for your help. You and Ellie looked lovely and festive. The snow was beautiful...I always love the first big snow. It does make the indoors feel so warm, cozy and protective. ST. Nick's tomorrow? Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete