Sunday, December 12, 2010

Auntie Em - we are going to blow away

I was not tired last night - played on the computer until SNL ended and then watched Food Network. I ended up falling asleep on the couch somewhere between 1AM and 2AM and woke up around 3:30AM and went up to bed. Nick crawled into our bed sometime and he and I slept through both Rob and Ellie getting up, dressing and leaving for church. I woke up a bit before 9AM and Nick woke up about a half hour later. I was sad I slept in because I wasn't able to help Ellie pick out an outfit for church or send the video camera with Rob to tape her.
Nick and I had breakfast and found that Nick Jr had all holiday cartoons on today. One of Nick's favorite Christmas books is Toot & Puddle's I'll Be Home For Christmas and it was an absolute delight to find that the cartoon of the book was on this morning. I have to tell you looking out the window at the blowing snow I was pretty happy to be in my pjs and under blankets on the couch this morning. Ellie called me after church to let me know she did great on her reading and that the cookies from refreshments today were great. Rob dropped Ellie off at Mom and Dad's to help them decorate their tree and then he came home.
Nick instantly was asking him to build this wood boat he dreamed up last night. He had a true vision of how it should look and what it should do - it was to hold all his wooden Thomas trains. Since I knew the boys would be totally involved in the boat project I took all the gifts out of the closet and began to wrap up Christmas - I had to take advantage of both Ellie and Nick being busy. I have to say- I have done the majority of my Christmas shopping online and I have had three separate purchases have issues this year. I went to wrap up a box for Ellie and an item on the packing list wasn't in the box, a set of trains I bought for Nick came individually wrapped in tissue paper instead of packaging and then the glue that seals the plastic packing to the cardboard on another gift was not attached - tiny things.
I got almost all the wrapping for the kids finished - I usually pick a different type of wrapping paper for each and all their gifts are wrapped with that design but I ran out of paper with both of the original designs I picked. Rob and Nick built a wonderful wooden barge with a hinged back to load the trains in and out - I guess he wanted it to be a ramp maybe on the next edition. Rob inscribed the side with NICK. Nick instantly went to load his trains in and used the living room rug as the water. I finished up the remaining Christmas cards to be addressed and packed a couple presents to be mailed. I was beginning to think my hopes of not buying boots so it wasn't going to snow much might be wrong. I looked online last night to try to find cute boots - I am a klutz and I cannot had anything with a heel and I don't want the ugly Uggs.
Ok- time to be honest... my boot hatred goes back about 27 years ago. My Mom had got tickets to see the Bozo Circus and it was winter and I was forced to wear ugly winter boots and was told no one would see them except everyone saw them because Cookie led the audience across the stage to exit and it was all on film. The last pair of boots I bought was when I was working at Alden and needed to have appropriate winter footwear. That was the last pair of boots I owned. I found some ok looking boots at Dick's and decided to layer up, brave the wind and cold and try to find a pair of boots. It really was miserable out - especially when trying to walk against the wind - almost impossible. The boots I saw online were not in the store - I found a pair of Sorel boots that were not bad but they didn't have them in my size. Why are moon boots back? They were ugly when we were kids and now they are in adult sizes - why?
I ventured into the kids department and found the seriously, cutest Bogs boots ever and the kids size 6 fit me. Believe it or not I bought 2 pairs - a practical pair in black and then the seriously cute purple paisley. I came home and showed off my cute new boots. Nick was still playing with his boat - we ended up putting felt pads on the bottom so he could slide it across the wood floor. Rob and I got to visit for a bit before we headed to Mom and Dad's for dinner. I felt like I was bundling up Randy from Christmas Story dressing Nick to go outside but it was brutal with the wind and I knew he would jump right in the snow. My hands are definitely not enjoying any part of the cold today - touching the front screen door handle was difficult and brought immediate pain.
We got to Mom and Dad's about 20 minutes longer than it would normally take it seemed none of the roads were really plowed nor salted yet. Ellie had done a great job helping Mom decorate their tree - I am pretty sure there wasn't a branch without an ornament. Mom had left the garland for me to hang - we differ here because I believe the order of decorating should be lights, garland then ornaments - Mom likes lights, ornaments then garland. I hung the garland - not totally to Mom's specifications but it looked fine and we placed an order for dinner from El Famous.
Dad and I took a drive to pick up the food and Chicago, hands sown, gets the award for snow removal - they had clean, heavily salted pavement. We had a nice dinner together - the salsa did its job of warming me up. Funny things overheard today - Nick was asking about his candy bag and when Santa might leave him another candy cane in it - a candy bag aka a stocking. Ellie was singing, "Glory to the New York king." My kids are Christmas challenged and are seriously cracking me up. Ellie's lyric dysfunction makes me laugh on a daily basis - I should write them all down and it could be a lyric dysfunction a day rip off calendar.
We changed, as still, very un-happy Scarlett out and then got on the road. It was an unfortunate coincidence that it was bath night and sooo cold but smelly kids need to smell better. I gave the kids their bath while Rob got us a pot of tea ready. They got their pjs on and I blow dried their hair and tucked Nick in. Ellie did some reading while she waited for Rob's footsteps. I have been blogging for an hour and a half now while sort of watching Sunday night dramas. I feel so accomplished today - presents wrapped, cards ready to be mailed, new boots... Today should be my turn around day for side effects and I should be on a clear road now until next infusion. I know from last time that the hand tinglies and the inability to drink/eat cold take almost the entire 2 weeks to wear out. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment