Thursday, December 16, 2010

A productive day

I watched Conan and George and did some of the detail work on my wool project. I fell asleep sometime after 1AM and didn't wake up until almost 5AM and I really debated just staying on the couch but I was cold and I figured I might as well be cold in bed. I thought Nick was going to sleep in but the alarm went off and he had his head on my chest and there was no way to get up without moving him and then he was up. We got dressed and went down for breakfast - I started getting stuff ready for Nick to take to his teachers and I asked Ellie if she wanted to take stuff today or tomorrow - today she said. Then Ellie told me she really wanted to give gifts to a few more teachers than she had originally mentioned - good thing I shop the way I do and I always have things on hand. I wrapped her up the other gifts and got a bag packed for her to take with her. I helped her bundle up and then we had a comedic exchange at the door - I asked if she had packed her snack - no (I went and got her pear). I asked if she had her gym shoes - no (I went and got them). I asked her to toss me the newspaper and she chucked it into the bushes - at least the bus was pretty much instantly there because of the delay.
I warmed the car up to take Nick to school and then we bundled up and were off - he carried a gift bag in each hand for his teachers. Nick ran into school this morning - even Mrs. Dunham was surprised at the run into school. I was going to do some shopping this morning - Big Lots and Michael's were on the list but as I drove by Salvation I decided to stop in - score! The last few weeks of the year are the best time to thrift because everyone is donating to make more room for the holidays and to get the tax receipt. Before I knew it I had about 2 dozen almost new hanna dresses in the cart - I spent less than $2 a dress and can flip them on ebay for anywhere between $15 - $20 a dress. I found some fleecy footie pjs for Nick and a train number puzzle. I found a huge spool of beautiful wool yarn - $0.88! I had so much fun at Salvation - alone.
I headed off to Big Lots but ended up at Lands End first. I was able to pick Rob up two new pairs of boots - I guess it must just be the year but we all needed boots this year. The best part was they were 40% off. I walked over to Big Lots and was able to pick up containers to pack up cookies and some other food stuff. I ran into Michael's and was able to pick up the buttons and ribbons I needed and even found packing tape - things I never really thought I needed but really do.
I picked up a cup of coffee on my way to get Nick from school. OMG (oh my gosh) I met Nick at the door and he had a Santa like back pack filled and Consuelo had a thank you gift for my thank you gift. Here is the OMG part - I asked Nick how school was and he told me Santa had come to their classroom today and I seriously felt like I might have been Will Farrel from Elf - I exclaimed Santa so loud that other parents looked at me very weird - it was just that Nick was excited about Santa. We got in the car and Nick went on about how he sat on Santa's lap and told him what he wanted for Christmas and that the teachers were his elves. 9 days before Christmas we have a breakthrough. He wanted to go and tell Grams about Santa - so we did.
Nick and Tony played for a while with the trains and Mom made them peppermint hot cocoa. We only stayed for a bit and then went home for lunch and to get stuff ready for the party at school tomorrow. I decided (after a few years of classroom party experience) that I would individually pack each candy bag - we are making snowman sundaes and the kids can decorate them with a bunch of candy. Nick was all too happy to help eat whatever candy I didn't want to pack up. We made it the bus stop just as the bus was stopping at the street before us. Nick likes to race the bus - he starts out at the alley and races the bus to the corner -I had warned him that there was ice under the snow but he doesn't listen. Total wipe out and he gets up looks at his feet and yells I'm ok.
We came home and the kids played downstairs and Nick told Ellie all about his day. I finished up the school party stuff and asked the kids what they wanted to do for dinner - Rob had his work parties tonight. Red Robin was the consensus so we were on our way. It is very funny, it seems every time we go to Red Robin we meet our friend, Mrs. B's son and his boys - they were there tonight. We also ran into our old neighbors when we were walking in - it was the place to be tonight. We had a nice dinner together - the kids ate their entire meal. We ran to Dick's after dinner and Ellie tried on the Bogs and it turns out she liked the print design on the boots more than the actual fit - we didn't get them.
We took a detour on the way home through Sauganash to look at the Christmas lights. When we were kids cars would line up for blocks to drive through and see the displays at some of these houses. There were always a handful of "must-see" houses - the 3 story Christmas tree that climbs through the roof, the real reindeer, Santa's workshop. Nowadays there is really only the 3 story tree house but still a favorite. We noticed that the majority of the houses had decorated in white lights this year - not as fun. There was one house that had these "dripping" icicle led lights that were mesmerizing. The kids liked the giant Rudolph and the gingerbread people.
We came home and the kids watched the end of Finding Nemo and I jumped into the shower. The movie ended and they came up for bed - I got Nick to sleep and tucked Ellie in. Rob just got home from his work parties and I sent him up to sleep the parties off - that is all I am going to say about that. I am feeling pretty good today - no real aches or pains and the cold effect has dramatically diminished. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment