Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Thrift regret no more

I decided to try bed from the get go last night and went up around 2:45AM only to find Nick was in our bed glued to Rob. I eventually fell asleep and had an ok nights sleep. I slept in but not too late because I had promised to make pancakes for breakfast. The kids were playing very nice together while I made breakfast. We ate and then everyone went their own way - Ellie went up to her bedroom to build the final version of the lego house, Nick went downstairs to play with toys - Rob and I checked email. I went up to keep Ellie company and I curled up on her bed and put her blanket over me and I was out. I got an hour nap in - we got dressed and plans were made while I was napping for Ellie and Nick to go over to Mom and Dad's so Rob and I could have some time together.
We got the kids ready - Nick was bringing trains over, Ellie was bringing her perfume kit that Mom and Dad got her for Christmas and dropped them off at Mom and Dad's. Rob and I headed north to Gurnee in hope that my Charles Rennie Mackintosh art would still be there. We had an awesome adventure and time to talk without interruption. We got to the store and started back in the art section - after digging through the frames I found our 2 - in the cart they went. I found a wooden pirate ship for Nick (had a bag of accessories), a Kit cooking studio for Ellie, a Thomas track and store box for Nick. When we headed to the check out I saw a rack of cds and we looked through and ended up with about half a dozen - cheaper to buy a cd for $1.61 than pay $1.29 a song off itunes. We checked out and were the lucky recipient of a red star on our receipt - $5.00 off our next purchase.
We decided it was time for lunch and were in search for something better than fast food but not fancy sit down either. Going south on route 41 (at around 60 mph) a deer ran right in front of car, jumped the median and was hit immediately by on-coming traffic - kind of shakes you up a bit. We ended up at Michael's in Highland Park - I have read reviews of the place so we thought we would try it - success. The menu was versatile - I had a char broiled chicken sandwich, Rob had a cheese burger - delish. We stopped at Hadassah resale on our way back to Mom's and I found a bin of legos for $3.00 and Rob found a few shirts.
We got back to Mom and Dad's and Rob and Dad cruised out to Home Depot and Target to pick up some things. Ellie shared her perfume creations, Nick showed me his "candy cane striped" Metra car - we had gotten him the car for Christmas but it didn't have the "candy cane stripe" on the back - so Mom painted it on for him. Nick had a bad bout of diarrhea while we were gone - poor boy. We visited for a little bit and then packed up and came home. The kids played with their new thrift toys - Ellie worked on her lego house, I took Nick up for a bath. He wasn't himself so I decided it was bedtime but he wasn't all about that. I read books, I sang songs, I sat and rubbed his hand and head (it was hot) and he would not go to sleep. I finally decided a change of pace was what was needed and called for Rob to come up and finish Nick's bedtime.
Rob was successful about 10 minutes later. Ellie and I watched Cupcake Wars and then Rob joined us. It seems like it has been a really, long day - productive and awesome but long. I am feeling great today - just finger tinglies still but that is about it - dry, bloody nose too. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree
If interested - my acupuncturist, Patricia, was in the Tribune - here is a link:
www.triblocal.com/evanston/community/stories/2010/12/integrative-medicine-helps-manage-holiday-stress

No comments:

Post a Comment