Monday, December 20, 2010

Thrift regret

I don't know what it is but I seriously cannot fall asleep at a normal hour anymore. I actually watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding at midnight last night and made it through the entire movie before falling asleep. It was another couch night - the quilt makes the back room almost as comfortable as being in bed. I woke up after the kids came down - they were real quiet but I eventually made my way to the coffee pot. We had no plans for the day but knew we should get out of the house. We decided on going north - Gurnee area for some thrifting.
We had a nice drive up - the sun was out and made it feel nice. We started at HOBO, which has rearranged since the last time we were there. We picked up odd/random things - umbrellas for each of the kids, I looked at rugs because we have lucked out on some very nice rugs there previously. I need to replace the rug in the back room (or clean it) but it is a cheap way to give a room a new look. Unfortunately there wasn't anything that really called out, "buy me" today.
We went to Community next and while Ellie and I were browsing through the girls section Rob and Nick brought over this like 3 foot long fire truck that Nick had found - ah, no. No good clothing finds today - it is hard because I know neither of the kids need clothes and I like Salvation's pricing better. We did end up with a Polly Pocket cruise ship and the fire truck from Cars (much smaller than 3'). This is where my thrifting remorse comes into play - I walked by the framed art - which I normally don't even look at and this picture sort of jumped out at me. It was an arts and crafts style floral print and it was professionally matted and framed but the frame was damaged and would need to be replaced and it was 1 of 2. I was only fond of one of the prints so I walked away but ended up looping back and pulling up the artist on ebay to see if I was missing a potential diamond in the rough. Couldn't find the prints on ebay so I passed them up - they wanted $80 for the pair.
We hit Salvation and I was able to find Ellie a High School Musical cheerleading outfit and an American Girl denim tie-dye jacket. They had the Little Tikes sports car bed for only $40 but I knew it wouldn't fit in the car - I miss the old mini-van. We were all hungry and decided on Cracker Barrel for lunch - it was nice and warm inside and the fireplace smelled good. I had the best cinnamon french toast - it was gooey and really tasted like a cinnabon roll. We promised the kids if they were good at lunch that we could visit the store when we finished - they were good.
They had the craziest talking, spinning, moving Christmas items. I found a snowman that had like 2' long arms and you held one arm and pressed the button and the whole snowman from the shoulder on spun around to Dead or Alive's, You Spin Me Round - very funny.
We finished up the thrift adventure at Goodwill, they also remodeled. I found a cute American Girl shirt and a lovely Talbots skirt for Ellie, some rubber stamps for me and a Christmas present. We ended our shopping day at Kohl's - I had lucked out with a 30% off coupon and Rob was in need of some pants. About an hour later we ended up with 2 pairs of corduroy pants, 3 pairs of khakis, I got a pair of jeans and half a dozen cards all for about $100.00 - I love Kohl's.
We drove home and the snow had begun to fall - it did look pretty.
I dropped the kids and Rob off at home and went over to Mom and Dad's to help hand the curtain swag back up (Mom washed it). I hung the swag and placed a pizza order and I was on my way home. The kids had pulled the sofa bed out and were watching a movie and playing - we had dinner and got ready for bed. Ellie is going to be my chemo buddy tomorrow - I think it will help her to see the process and also she can ask any questions that she might have. I told her we could bring the computer and a couple card games - I was planning on bringing some wool stuff to try to finish up - we will see.
I tried the bark I made yesterday - the peppermint is very minty and the caramel pecan didn't come out quite the way my brain was thinking it would but hey it's chocolate and people will eat it. Another day of no aches and pains but I did feel like I could fall asleep many different times today - probably a side effect of the going to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning. I know I really should go to bed early tonight but it is a lunar eclipse tonight and wouldn't that be fun to see. I did put a phone call into my nurse, Jen, to see if she had any suggestions for Scarlett and the quick breakdown I get after chemo. She had left a message back with changing Scarlett out more frequently after chemo - ughh. Just picture a 4" square bandaid with the tackiest adhesive ever and then picture peeling that off every other day. I swear I am going to have a 4" patch of stomach hair when this is all said and done. A friend asked me to include my email address in my post - its thazard@sbcglobal.net. Please keep positive thoughts about my platelet and potassium and blood counts for tomorrow - I want this infusion. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree
PS - I did some research on the art prints I saw today. They are by Charles Rennie Makintosch - who the makintosch rose is named after (I love the makintosch rose). I couldn't find the prints I saw anywhere online but I do really like some of his other work - I might need to make a trip back out to Gurnee this week - I hate thrifting remorse, especially when the store isn't local.

1 comment:

  1. Is the print under glass? Is the mat in good enough shape to be re-framed? You said the mat was cut to fit the specific print...if it's in really nice shape and it's under glass, it would take nothing for us to frame it. Are the prints numbered? I googled the rose...lovely. If the snow isn't too bad and the infusion doesn't leave you wasted, it might be worth a trip back. I don't know if they'll be moving at the marked price. You might be able to wait until next week. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way for tomorrow...glad Ellie is going with you. You do know to call me if you don't feel like driving home, don't you? Get some sleep tonight...you need to be rested. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete