Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Second infusion (almost) complete

I ended up falling asleep on the couch and went up to bed somewhere around 2:30AM. We all sort of woke up together this morning - I got everyone layers of clothing to wear today. I can already predict my infusion day problem - I have to wear a shirt with a low enough front for Plum to be accessed and abused and it is cold outside -luckily I can wear a turtleneck tomorrow because there won't be a need to access Plum. I made oatmeal for breakfast and sliced some zucchini bread (Nick's new favorite) and got Ellie some cereal. I bundled Ellie up for her wait for the bus and she was off - I watched as all the kids waiting on the corner were having a mini snowball fight but the snow if not puffy and soft anymore it is hard and icy.
I got out car warming up about 10 minutes before I had to leave with Nick for school - got to love the remote start. I can still remember when i was pregnant with Nick and had pregnant brain - very similar to chemo brain and at least once a week I was calling Rob for spare car keys because I had locked mine in the car warming it up. I packed my bag up - I took nail polish, the laptop, a book, lunch and my pillow and blanket. The car was just starting to feel warm when we got in - I am also thankful for seat heaters! I had a chemo brain moment yesterday and forgot Nick's school is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this week so he missed school yesterday - when Mrs. Dunham said she missed Nick yesterday I just had to say chemo brain - she understood. Nick went in without incidence and I got in the car and was on my way to Kellogg.
I checked in and was told to wait for my blood labels - Barb came to find me before I got my labels and she went to get them. We went upstairs to a treatment room and she drew my blood and then we waited. I needed my platelet level above 100 and about 20 minutes later Barb came back saying it was a "pretty" ok level so we would proceed. I was started with my anti-nausea drugs and steroid - those take about 30 minutes. Then the next two are hung - these take about 2 hours and although I had so many plans for my hours there today - I took out my blanket and pillow and fell asleep for those 2 hours. I woke up and barb was getting my 5FU ready- I get a syringe full there and then I get the travel pump for 46 hours. Pretty uneventful - which is certainly fine with me. I paid for parking and got a cup of hot cocoa to go but as soon as the door opened for outside my fingers felt like they were badly asleep - tingly and painful. I didn't know if it was the oxy or neuropathy starting again. It took almost the entire trip home to stop and then as soon as I hit the cold air they were tingly again - I guess I have the external cold effect this time.
Mom showed me Nick's picture he drew of me at school today and had Nick explain it to me - it was me and my belly button and Scarlett - I totally see therapy in this boys future. He drew Scarlett and then the bag that covers her - I am quite sure this caused some discussions at school. Mom, Nick and I cuddled up on the couch and watched some tv. I bundled up and walked to the corner to get Ellie - fingers again. Even getting the cold mail from the mailbox caused them to tingle. It lasts about 20 minutes after they start and I have learned this evening that washing my hands in cold water does it, cutting vegetables from the fridge does it and painting Christmas trees with cold paint does it.
I had all the makings for dinner and made a potato cheese bake and fajitas, I cut up veggies and we had applesauce. Mom watched and played with the kids while I got the backside of the trees painted - they are looking better. Mom left and braved the cold and I got dinner plated. We ate dinner and while eating Nick brushed his hair with his spoonful of yogurt - bath time. We finished dinner and went up for a bath with the understanding that it was going to be a quick bath and I could not get wet. We got pjs on and got the blow dryer out to dry hair - way too cold to go to bed with wet hair. I read some books to Nick and a sang a few songs and he was out. I tucked Ellie in and sang a couple songs to her and said goodnight.
I went to put the clear coat on the trees - ironically the clear bothered me more than the green paint did - go figure. All are finished now - all 103 of them. I washed my hands in very hot water and it felt so good. I am on the couch, sipping my hot tea, mini heater on because it is 64 in the badly insulated back room. I need to get another blanket to sleep with because my plan is to sleep on the couch because of the pump and not wanting to accidentally pinch the tubing. Overall, I feel pretty darn good right now and I am so hoping it continues. I have been taking my claritin with hopes that it helps with the bone pain from the neulasta shot on Thursday. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body, my uneventful chemotherapy round (I am officially 1/4 of the way through) and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment