Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Infusion a go go

I really tried to go to sleep at a normal time last night, I think it was a bit after midnight. I slept on the couch with my warm quilt. The kids came down a bit before 8AM and they were quiet but I knew I had things I needed to do and got up. Rob had made us coffee and I put a couple slices of bread in the toaster oven. I ran up to take a shower because I won't have the opportunity to do that again until the disconnect on Thursday. Ellie and I packed our lunches and I packed up my bag of wool and we were on our way to Kellogg. Thank you, thank you for snow today because Nick was occupied playing while we left.
We got to Kellogg and I checked in, got my labels and met Deb upstairs. Ellie got to see the entire process and did ask some questions. Deb drew my blood and I went upstairs for my visit with Dr. Marsh. I told them about the claritin totally working for bone pain, about the tinglies happening almost instantly last time and lasting about 11 days. I guess I am fortunate the tinglies aren't permanent - the oxy will not be turned down and would be kept at the same dose. I asked about Christmas wine and was told to take it sip by sip. He was surprised that the neuropathy hadn't caused more direct effects (can't hold a pen, can't tie shoes, can't do small dexterity things) but oh he had to mention that - something to look forward to.
My white blood count was 6.2, my platelets were 105 (just 5 over the cancellation point) and my potassium was good enough to hold off on the horse pill for now. Deb came in and began my anti-nausea meds and steroids, followed by the oxaliplatin and the folinic acid. I took out my bag of wool and Ellie and I went to work cutting flowers and circles and other shapes and sewing them onto buttons for the scarf decorations - I think we probably got about a dozen done. We ate our lunch and then Ellie made her way downstairs to the coffee machine (one of those single serve ones that has the coffee, cappuccino, hot cocoa) and got herself a cup of french vanilla flavored cocoa. We packed up our stuff, Deb pumped the booster dose of 5Fu in and hooked up my travel pump and we were off. I stopped in the washroom and that is when the full effect tinglies began - just turning on the faucet caused them all the way up my fingers and intense tinglies.
I was feeling good so we made a stop at the post office to send of a couple packages and to the Hallmark that is closing to get the rest of the Christmas cards I needed. We came home and every little thing I did sent my fingers into full fledged tingles - just lightly tapping them together does it. I am thankful I made all my cookies and bark last weekend but I still need to finish attaching my decorations to my scarves - maybe by Thursday or Friday they won't be so sensitive. The kids and I worked on their Christmas ornaments we have globe ornaments and snowflakes and I have to say the snowflakes have come out beautifully. Rob helped me make dinner - well, I gave direction and Rob followed because my fingers were not working. I can see now why they warn you about burning yourself because I really don't think I would realize they were on fire.
We had a carb packed dinner - that is the best after chemo. We took the kids up for baths and Ellie went down with Nick to play for a while before Rob took them up to bed. I have to end this because every fingertip on the keyboard is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I am hoping this infusions new side effects end here with the severe finger neuropathy. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body, limited side effects and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree
PS - chemo brain has been going on for weeks and I have forgot to mention 2 really funny things in my life right now. #1- Mom bought us this motion sensitive snowman for the bathroom that talks when you are in there, or move. He sings, "Ho, ho, ho, who's gotta go? Ho, ho, ho, who's gotta go? Here in the bathroom don't mind me I am here to keep you company." "Watcha doing? On second thought don't answers that." "If you have any presents to wrap I have lots of paper in here." "Pull up a seat and make yourself comfy." "Are you ok? You look a little bit flushed - get it? Flushed." #2- The one manufacturer of ostomy supplies that I asked for samples has me on their email list and it first began on Black Friday - a secret sale email (really, black Friday and ostomy supplies?) and then I just got one that was for stocking stuffers - I have to hand it to them for their inventive marketing but I would never in a million years want anything ostomy related for a gift but it does crack me up.

1 comment:

  1. Really, no ostomy stuff? I have a whole batch for you. I started with Santa's gift bag, after all this is our crafting Christmas! Red velvet, sound nice? You think about it! Glad you are enjoying Flushy the Snowman. Love ya, Mom P.S. I'll help you sew.

    ReplyDelete