Saturday, December 18, 2010

Longest baking day ever

I stayed up and watched Great Balls of Fire after Rob went up last night - well, I listened to it as I made more decorative elements out of wool. I then listened to Christmas in Washington and then Unwrapped on Food tv. I decided to just go up to bed around 2AM and try to get a better nights sleep - sort of worked. I was not ready to be up at 7:30AM when Nick got up and I told him to go down and find Rob but I didn't realize Rob was in bed next to me still. Rob ended up getting up and taking Nick down and I got to sleep in another hour.
It was baking day here - I wanted to get all our holiday cookies done today not knowing how crazy next week could be. I don't think I even got my first sip of coffee in before Ellie was asking what cookie we were making first. Rob went to the Parker's for their annual breakfast and the kids and I set up the baking station. Ellie made our "store" on the dining room table and Rob brought me up the mixer before he left. The kids helped measure and roll cookies. Rob called and asked if we needed anything on his way home - sugar.
We made 9 different cookies today and about 4 dozen of each kind. I let Ellie do some picking of ingredients since she is trying to avoid chocolate this week. She put dried cranberries, oatmeal and white chocolate chips together - it was a tasty mix. Rob played with nick when he came home which let Ellie and I move a bit faster on our baking conveyor belt. Nick kept stealing cookies as he walked by - I learned to put the ugly cookies at the end of the table.
Rob gave Nick a bath while Ellie and I finished up our baking. The kids played for a bit - Ellie took a shower. I packed up a box of cookies to take with us tonight and put the rest in containers for distribution this week. Jo, Ole and Tony were joining us tonight at my Godparents house for dinner - we had major catching up to do. They arrived at our house and followed us out - Nick actually passed out in the car.
We had a lovely time catching up tonight -lots of laughs. My Godfather has seriously saved everything we might have ever given him and he brought out cards we had sent him and a drawing I had done of a Christmas tree in like 1982. It turned out to be Tony's favorite thing and he was carrying it around and was not happy when it "disappeared". The kids had a ball because they had a round about (where they can go from room to room in a circle). We tried to get the kids to watch a movie but the round about was way more fun. The meltdowns had begun and it was time to venture home - I thought for sure we would have two sleeping kids but Nick held out until about a mile from home, Ellie was out in about 10 minutes.
The cold woke both Nick and Ellie from the way from the car into the house. I sang to Nick and Rob to Ellie and then we met up on the couch. I am tired but know it will be a while until I can relax enough to sleep. I am feeling great today and I am kind of surprised that I have no aches and pains because I was standing for about 6 hours while we did our baking. Rob just went up to bed and I am debating trying to do some more wool decorating or just chilling out and watching tv. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment