Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

Hands are a bit better today - the oxy is leaving my body slowly. I slept on the couch last night because Rob started to have sniffles and a cough and I don't want the germs. I have been fortunate enough to have Rob around these last few days because he has let me sleep in (and keeps the kids pretty quiet and entertained) and he has actually been my hands over the past few days (Ellie too). The finger thing was crazy this infusion - so much beyond tinglies (which still come often and strong) but I had hand/finger cramps that made my fingers bend without my control, I tried to write out a couple cards today and my writing was pretty much illegible and I had a real hard time trying to wrap gifts.
Ellie was a doll and really helped me out today - getting the last cookies delivered, getting the last presents wrapped, cleaning up the craft projects... We cruised out and played Santa, dropping a bag at a few friends houses. We ran lunch to Mom and Dad's and brought some last minute recipe items and we fit in a Scarlett change (she is doing very good). We made a couple more drop offs and hit Dominick's for some Christmas morning breakfast food.
We came home and I attempted to clean for a bit - I guess I do have the perfect excuse this year with chemo and not feeling great on and off. It will most likely be a box clean - where things get organized into a box and the box gets placed in a closet for a later time. Rob nicely gave Nick a bath while we were out but the rest of us needed to be clean. I jumped in first and caught a glimpse of Plum in the mirror - is it possible for a port to just jump right through the skin it is buried under? I originally was able to feel around and find the three bumps but now those three bumps are protruding from my skin. I took a long, hot shower because when I was being hit by hot and steam my both wasn't tingly.
Ellie jumped in next and I got Nick dressed while Ellie was in. Our kids looked absolutely charming tonight - Ellie had a velvet dress on with lace cuffs and neck and Nick wore this gray wool vest and pant set with a big boy shirt - charming. We had about an hour before we had to leave for church so we watched Calliou's Holiday Movie (one of Nick's faves).
We took the extra time to get to church because the snow falling was the micro fine snow that causes cars to slide across the road and slip and slide. We got to church and got to see and visit so many dear friends. I always enjoy the Christmas service because it is dark outside and the lights are dim and the decorations are beautiful. Rob's favorite didn't make the song list for tonight. During service Nick wanted me to hold him and I told him I wasn't strong enough right now - he reached over and grabbed a handful of Rob and packed it into my shoulder and told me I was strong enough again.
We visited a couple more friends after service and were on our way to Mom and Dad's for dinner. I feel bad because I am normally Mom's kitchen helper but with the hands and the on /off queasiness I am not a good helper this year - luckily Jo was able help. Mom had quite the meal - chicken kievs, lamb, salmon, stuffed cannelloni, corn pudding, cranberry sauce, green beans, salad - I know I am forgetting things but delicious food. The dessert procession began - cannoli, cookies, chocolate bark, liquor chocolates, peanut butter balls and brandy oberweiss ice cream - truly biter sweet and totally wrong. This would be my all time favorite flavor of ice cream - only available a few weeks a year and I have chemo cold sensitivity and can't eat it - blahhh.
The gift exchanging was exhausting. I can't even list everything so I will list some faves - pillow pets (its a pillow, its a pet - its a pillow pet) yep, we now own them. Ellie received Kit's trundle bed and a couple new outfits and accessories. Nick was very excited to have new trains to play with and a train dish set to eat with. Rob and I received some very lovely gifts that I will have to go through tomorrow and re look at. I was experiencing on/off queasiness tonight - I didn't even try the glass of wine Dr. Marsh said I could try. We loaded everything into the sleigh to take home and said our thanks and good byes and hugs and kisses.
We got home and Nick and Ellie tossed reindeer food into the front bushes. Nick made chocolate milk together, Ellie got a few cookies out and I got a carrot out. We had vitamins and got pjs on - I got Nick to sleep and Rob got Ellie. We came down stairs and a familiar smell was in the air - the smell of gas coming from the stove but no flame - about the 3rd time this week. I fill the tea kettle too full and it snuffs out the flame. Rob helped me bring up presents -should be interesting because I usually try to have Ellie wrapped in one design and Nick in another but ran out of both of those designs and had to stitch to a third - can't recall whose presents are whose.
Knock on wood the claritin seems to be helping with the awful joint pain this time - I find that I am getting muscle tights but my potassium level was fine. I am looking forward to seeing some smiling faces tomorrow morning and having a family breakfast and then Rob said he might take the kids out in the snow for a while - I'll videotape from the window and prepare hot cocoa for when they come in. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body, for the neurotoxicity to be gone and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment