Thursday, December 9, 2010

Please let me introduce you to claritin

Rob went up a bit into the news last night and I got my blankets out and started to get comfortable on the couch. Sleep came in waves again and at about 3:30AM I heard Nick's footsteps upstairs followed by conversation of Mommy is downstairs sleeping - no we are not going down - it is bed time... followed by footsteps down the stairs and Rob showing Nick that I was indeed trying to sleep on the couch. In normal circumstances I would have just pulled Nick on top of me and we could have fallen back to sleep together but with all the tubing and Plum having the needle in I said I would get him back to sleep upstairs and then come back down. Well, let me tell you our bed is a great deal more comfortable and warm than the couch in the under-insulated back room - I stayed up there. Nick was up early and then Ellie came in - I begged for just 10 more minutes and they happily gave them to me.
I started a pot of coffee and got Nick and Ellie some breakfast and Ellie packed her snack for school. It was another multi layer day here - Nick got himself completely dressed without help. I bundled Ellie up for her bus stop wait and 15 minutes later she came to tell me the bus still wasn't coming - I started the car up and got Nick and I dressed for the cold and we took Ellie to school. We circled back here to pick up some playthings for Mom's house and my bag of wool pieces and then headed to Mom's. The boys played while Mom and I finished mocking up our Christmas cards and sent them off to be printed.
I was on my way to Kellogg for my disconnect and neulasta shot. I have got to be honest - the tape is going to kill me - the needle in Plum is taped onto me then the temperature sensor for my 5FU pump is taped to my chest and then the connector is taped somewhere between - it gets itchy and my skin gets irritated and I am left with this adhesive nightmare. Sari, my nurse today, asked about side effects and I told her how the tingly fingers pretty much started immediately as I left on Tuesday and she put it in her notes but told me to discuss that with Dr. Marsh because he might be able to lower my dose of oxy. The neulasta shot did initially burn, like it did last time, but the hip pain didn't come - thank you to the person that discovered claritin has healing qualities when taken with neulasta.
I stopped at our house on the way home because Dad's work is having a collection of toiletries for the local homeless shelter and I had a shoe box full of travel sized soaps we've acquired. I went back to Mom's and the boys were coloring out on the porch. I showed Mom all my wool and the ties I had bought - we seem ripped the ties apart. It was lunchtime so Mom made lunch while the boys and I played with racing cars and watched Calliou. The boys started eating their lunch on their picnic blanket but soon ended up on the couch with us. Nick ate all his food and Tony was really ready for a nap so we cleaned up and left.
We came home and cuddled up onto he couch - I kept drifting to sleep and my head would try to settle and I would wake up. I told Nick it was nap time when we got back from getting Ellie but the fierce cold outside really woke me up. We did come back and throw the blankets over us and cuddle up but my nap never happened - it was a busy phone call time. Dean came over for dinner and to go to Ellie's holiday concert with us - he came over early to have some play time with the kids.
We had a nice dinner together and the kids opened their advent calendars before we warmed up the car and got ready to go. Rob dropped us off at the door and a lady was nice and told Rob the last spot in the administration parking lot was open - so he didn't have too far to walk. Ellie went up to her classroom and Nick and I went in search of the perfect spot to sit. Rob and Dean found us and then Christi and Susannah found us - Nick and Susannah sat next to each other. The concerts always provide a laugh - between how the kids sing, to what they do and what they wear - it is a hoot. Soon enough the concert was finished and we had to make our way to Ellie's classroom to get her.
We found Rob out in the car and we were on our way home. I really wanted to take a shower to remove all the adhesive but it was so cold but I decided to do it anyways. Rob got the kids into pjs and started reading to them while I attempted to remove the adhesive - I actually ended up with raw skin - maybe I will use rubbing alcohol next time. Ellie came down with me while Rob got Nick to sleep and then he came down for Ellie.
I am enjoying a cup of spiced cider and I am just starting to feel some lower back pain - heating pad time. I think it is an early night for me because I am tired. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body, more un-eventful days and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment