Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We have a plan

As expected - didn't sleep much last night. Got Ellie off on the bus and Nick to my Mom's and then Rob and I were on our way to Glenbrook.
I met with the GI oncologist first, Dr. Marsh - a lovely man and I am very happy with him. He just resonates calm and peace. His nurse, Margaret, could be my new best friend. She seemed to know everything and took care of scheduling some of my appointments next week. After a lengthy discussion about my plan he examined me. Funny thing - until a couple hours ago I really though consult meant a meeting with a doctor in comfy, plush chairs in their office - boy was I mislead - it means vitals, info, more info and an examination.
Dr. Marsh informed me that he has unfortunately seen a huge increase in GI cancer patients in their 20s and 30s in the past couple months -really makes you wonder what is causing this - scary. Starting next week I will begin 5 day a week radiation and 7 day a week oral chemotherapy. He has found there is really no difference in response to oral vs IV chemotherapy pre-operative. This will continue for approximately 5-6 weeks. He explained that radiation therapy continues to work after treatment so my 5-6 weeks will really be like 10-12 weeks worth of effect. I will have 4-5 weeks off to rest and re-coup before surgery. Then after surgery I will have another few weeks of rest and re-coup before 4-5 months of IV chemotherapy.
My next meeting was with my GI surgeon, Dr. Muldoon. Once again consult didn't mean comfy chairs - if fact this "consult" included my newest pick-up line - please disrobe and turn on your left side - not what I was planning. It seemed like I was on a never ending moving walkway today - everyone wanted my vitals, my history, my blood...
Dr. Muldoon re-confirmed the plan and then told us a bit about the surgery. It will be through small slits in my abdomen and will use a robotic arm. I can expect to be in the hospital 4-7 days post surgery. When Rob and I were talking on the way home he told me the scars wouldn't be too bad and the robotic arm was small - I told him I was envisioning the Inspector Gadget arm. I was told I could figure the entire process lasting about a year. Seems like an eternity.
I had blood taken for cancer markers, a vitamin D level and blood count. I will have a PET scan tomorrow - which will just verify that the cancer hasn't decided to seep anywhere else. I have a follow up visit with Dr. Marsh next week to discuss any questions that I might think of prior to starting treatment. I meet with my radiation oncologist next Wednesday to discuss the whole radiation therapy element.
I a very at ease today - there is a plan in place and some questions answered. I feel very confident with the doctors who are working with me. I was delighted that everyone was optimistic. This will be a long road but I am ready to step on and travel it and I know I have a whole bunch of people who will be on the road right along side me and that is also very comforting.
I gotta tell you - I have seen the TV commercial for breyers brownie chocolate ice cream sandwiches and was thinking they looked pretty delectable but I cannot indulge tonight - I am on a lowcarb diet for the scan tomorrow. It's funny - I think the screen must flash at the doctors - this woman has some anxiety issues because Dr. Marsh took time to assure me the test was open and airy and shouldn't send me into hyperventilating. It is just a long test - the message on the answering machine said to expect to be there for 2 hours.
I thank everyone for their positive thoughts, prayers and wishes - they helped out big time today and will continue to get me through this (with my very awesome family). Love to everyone, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment