Wednesday, May 5, 2010

2nd day - getting better!

I woke up and got to drink the berry flavored barium I need for my CT scans today (chest, abdomen and pelvic) - tasted slightly better than chalk. I told a dear friend my bad news before heading to my Mom's for support.
In the afternoon I came home for the final reactive prep for the scans - which tastes pretty much how nail polish smells. Rob and I took the kids to Grandma's and then we were on our way to the hospital. I got called and while walking back to the CT area the tech began explaining the procedure and what would happen. When we got to the room my tears started again. I laid down on the table and was told they would start an IV to inject the radioactive dye (sounded like so much fun). My body was uncontrollably shaking but I was not cold. They run me through the machine a couple times for pre-dye images. Then the dye is pushed - I was told this usually gives a hot flash effect, nausea, dizziness - instead its like ice in my veins. I go through the machine about a dozen times. They pull the IV and stand me up. Will I be able to see results today? No- after reviewed by my doctor I should have final results tomorrow. We begin walking back to meet Rob and my arms from shoulder to fingertips and numb and tingly like they are asleep. I mentioned this and was told no it wasn't normal. I ended up seeing a nurse who tried to take my vitals. My fingers were so cold she couldn't get my pulse and my blood pressure through the sky. I guess I cried enough that the radiology doctor came in and said she would read my scans and get right back to us. By now I am shaking uncontrollably, having difficulty breathing, arms and legs are still asleep and I know nothing.
It had been mentioned that since I wasn't feeling better a trip next door to the ER was in my future. So off to the ER we went. By now I have begun hyperventilating. The very nice triage nurse let me look at my CT results and there is no other cancer present in any of my lymph nodes - hip hip hooray. But hey, I still can't stop shaking and tingling.
I am finally taken into a room and told yes indeed I am hyperventilating and need to stop. They started another IV and took some blood and gave me fluids. Then they gave me ativan and then another ativan and it made my legs and arms stop tingling and my body stop shaking. Woo Hoo I got discharged.
Tomorrow is endoscopic ultrasound where the GI doctor will be able to tell me what stage this cancer mass is.

No comments:

Post a Comment