Saturday, May 8, 2010

All aboard

I have come to the conclusion sleep might be overrated. Until this last week I would blissfully go to bed and get about 9-10 hours of restful sleep, beauty sleep, re-energizing sleep. Now, I toss and turn, I get hot and cold, I think I can pinpoint where my tumor is resting internally -externally, I think too much and don't really give in to mr. sandman. I fell asleep on the couch in Rob's lap before Miami Medical and woke up at 9:17 - that was my best sleep last night. Oh well, stayed in bed til 7:45 and panicked that I over-slept again and Ellie would be late for school.
We went to the store last night and picked out our counter top color - natural limestone. I tried to finally eat something last night and became immediately aware that either I've been clenching my teeth for the past few days or my body shakes have rattled them - but actually trying to chew was not so comfortable.
May 8th has been marked on our calendar since about January. It is national train day down at union station. For those who don't know our family well, my Dad is the original train nut (he had two girls who he desperately tried to convince to love trains and not dolls - fortunately, both my sister, Jo, and I both have boys now). Dad has turned Nick and Tony (my nephew) into train boys - its their drug of choice - Ellie plays along, too (just like Jo and I did). In about an hour we will board the metra to union station to celebrate national train day. In the past its been my Dad and Ellie who have gone done for the morning and have come home with some real cool things. Dad got tickets for everyone this year - Mom and Dad, Rob and me, Jo and Ole and Ellie, Nick and Tony. I need to pack our snack and beverage bag because I have the kids that get 5 minutes from home and are hungry.
This should be the ultimate distraction for this morning. A funny/ironic thought occured to me this morning. When I was choosing my ob/gyn for both my pregnancies I chose female doctors - a sense of modesty. With Ellie it didn't matter because about 35 doctors, nurses and staff were in the room when she was delivered, with Nick it was a much smaller crowd. With the GI issue I never really gave it too much thought - I am naked just the same and yet I have this crew of males around - even the assistant and the nurses were men. Guess modesty has left the building. On the bright side my arms are starting to not look like blue tie-dye today - more of a washed out yellow-green.
I continue to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and phone calls/emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment