Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Doctor visits...again

I don't want to jinx it but 2nd night with good drug/sleep timing. Nick woke up early but Ellie slept in. It was Ellie's 2nd grade field trip today - Heritage museum, 1st log cabin and Emily Oaks nature center. Ellie spent most of her morning trying to find her camera, find batteries that worked, find a memory card that wasn't full. We finally decided a disposable was the way to go but it wasn't the perfect choice because it didn't have a flash. Turned out to be an okay compromise because upon exiting the bus this afternoon she told me she dropped it and it didn't really work after that. I got to make Ellie a special brown bag picnic lunch. Nick and I packed a bag for Grandma's house - fruit snacks, the rest of his cereal from breakfast, a couple go-gurts and a few DVDs. We were all on our way.
I was able to have a bit of time at Mom's before I had to leave and was able to get Nick "settled" in. When I said I was leaving to go my doctor appointment he gave me a giant hug and kiss and I promised I would be back before the end of Cars (which had just been put into the DVD player). I got to visit the Evanston Kellogg Cancer Center today - very nice space - I bet even better on a sunny day. My best friend, nurse, Margaret came and found me in the waiting area and we went up to exam room. For years I could go months without weighing myself and now its an every visit occurrence - oh, 1 pound under last appointment. We went down the hall to the room and she started explaining some of the changes I would need to make before my treatment begins. I will have to switch my toothpaste to one that has no whitening, no plaque guard - basically a similar toothpaste to what you might give a baby. If I want to gargle - I should find a mouthwash without alcohol. That is when she informed me about the oral side-effects. Some people get mouth sores (similar to canker sores) and that some people experience sensitivity around the edges of their tongues and that some complain about changes in their taste. This would be why eating and drinking can become difficult and not too interesting and people need to come in for IV fluids and nutrients. So hoping against these side effects. I really eat to survive - I rarely have cravings and to me most food is just food. Saying that, I really hope this doesn't happen to me. I remember being pregnant and having everything taste like something - I can't recall the particulars but everything I ate tasted the same - makes it difficult to keep eating sometimes.
Dr. Marsh joined us and he discussed my PET scan from last week and shared that only my tumor showed up as a "hot spots" he doesn't believe any of my lymph nodes are involved - great news! He sent over a couple more things - I will be more photo-sensitive on the xeloda - therefore, spf 50 is a must. I need to keep my hands, feet and lips extra moisturized to avoid the reddening/peeling that is also a possible side effect. I asked my questions and got all my answers. I will see him again in about 2 weeks but should call him if anything starts bothering me. Since my cancer marker was not remarkable there really won't be a need to monitor that often - I will have blood draws instead to monitor my white blood count. I also found out I will be on the xeloda the entire time - not 14 days on 7 off. Dr. Marsh seems to think all the radiation simulation should be able to be complete by Monday - so the plan is to start both on Monday.
Margaret gave me a tour of the center - I saw where I will eventually have my post-operative chemo treatments and where the drink station is. I met and visited with Sally, my social worker, also, a very nice person. She had pulled a bunch of info for me on cancer and children, as well as schedules for the Cancer Wellness Center and classes on meditation. I stopped by the gift shop and picked up a drum clapping, walking, wind up monkey to entertain Nick and was then on my way back to Mom's.
When I walked into her house it smelled like coffee - something I haven't had in 5 months and it smelled good. I decided this past weekend that I have given up all my vices (in trying to rule out their effect on my body) only to find out they were having no negative effect on me. Mom offered me a cup of coffee and I took her up on it. It could have been an omen but Mom said no - but moments after putting my cup on the table next to me Nick bumped the table and the entire cup spilled. Mom refilled me and it was quite enjoyable - I feel alive -even on this kinda funky, cloudy, cold day - didn't even consider an afternoon nap today. We had lunch together and then Nick and I came home. Nick really loves the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and asked Mom if we could borrow it tonight. So, as we walked in the house he got the DVD out and we put it in. He sings along to all the songs and does the most unusual dancing (I blame Rob totally - some very dear friends and family know what I mean). I called my dentist to see if he could squeeze me in this week because I can't have any dental work done for the next 3 months and he did squeeze me into his schedule - woohoo clean teeth. We got Ellie from the bus stop and now they are both still engrossed in all the is Chitty. Needless to say before typing this I went on Amazon and purchased our own copy - it seriously provides hours of entertainment.
I am really so delighted with the news I received today. I am looking forward to DWTS tonight to see who the final 3 will be (Nicole, Evan and Erin are my guess). Visualizing shrink tumor - much healthier body. I said this to Dr. Marsh today and he repeated it after me and told me positive visualizing is greatly motivating. Have a great Tuesday everyone, Tree

2 comments:

  1. Not only positive visualizing, but also collective thought. So, all of you folks sharing Theresa's thoughts...here's the thought for all of us to share...Theresa is healthy and she is growth free. There IS power in putting forth shared thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T... I wanted to let you know that although I am so far away, you are in my positive thoughts everyday (case in point... getting up early to read your daily post before work...dang UPS blocks all things internet). I miss you and love you...

    J

    ReplyDelete