Wednesday, May 26, 2010

First treatment down - 34 to go

Millietime provided some much needed laughter last night. The pineapple vodka was not as addicting as I remembered - it could be because I have become a lightweight or it could have just been nerves. We stayed late but we were all having so much fun. Came home and it was bedtime for the kids. Rob and I watched Parenthood and then it was bedtime for us. Even though I was dead tired I couldn't fall asleep - nerves.
Ellie and I managed our normal morning time but Nick slept in - until he fell out of bed. He hasn't fallen out of bed like ever and he totally was not happy to be woken up that way - I don't blame him. I got Ellie out to the bus and fixed breakfast for myself - with the xeloda I need to eat 30 minutes prior to taking it. I fixed some toast and eggs and waited 30 minutes. I took the time to load my xeloda pill box with the next weeks worth of doses. Finally it was time to take the pills - these are not horse size pills but they aren't baby pills either - I decided to take the pills one at a time and that seemed to work.
Nick and I headed to Mom's for "Morning Club" and that is when my tummy started to feel unsettled - I am sure it was nerves for the day but it never really went away all day. I had a cup of tea thinking that would help and then finally departed for my first radiation treatment. I got to the hospital and checked in and waited in the waiting room until I was called. I was taken to the same nice room as yesterday - treatment room 2. I noticed a screen hanging from the ceiling - I kind of felt like a celebrity - it told them how to set up the table for ME. Blue triangle pillow covered with two pillow cases, sheet on table, sheet covering legs... wow. I was told it would be just like the day before - climb on the table and pull pants down, they would move me - I should just lie still. As if I seriously don't have enough marks, tattoos and stickers on my ass right now they then told me for quality control they would be placing a diode on there too. I was moved left and right and pulled up and down and then they said they were ready. The treatment itself was probably only 8 minutes - same airplane sounds except the errrr noise lasted about 30 seconds at a time today.
They said I was done and they would see me tomorrow. I went back to Mom's and Nick and Tony were having movie time and eating popcorn. I was still feeling a bit queasy - that feeling hasn't left. We ate some lunch - I tried to close my eyes for a bit but the boys were too busy having fun. Nick and I came home and the mailman delivered our copy of Chitty Chitty bang Bang today - so I quickly played it and was able to lay down for a bit before getting Ellie off the bus.
Ellie and Nick played out with the neighbors and had a bunch of fun. Mom just arrived for dinner and helped the kids chocolate dip cookies and fruit for dessert - now its clean up time. I am trying to find something I can drink that doesn't make my tummy rumble. Dad is picking up dinner on his way here and then I hope the kids will want to go to bed early because that is what I want to do. I did share with Mom today that in the last 3 weeks about 2 dozen people have seen my butt - some very up close and personal - some just from across a room - but I am thinking about giving up all my pants and trading them in for chaps after this is all done and through with - I am getting pretty comfortable bearing all.
All in all - first day not bad - just exhausted. The therapist ended the appointment saying one down - 27 to go (that is on the radiation front) and on the xeloda front one down - 34 to go. Visualizing my shrinking tumor (as we speak) and my healthy body - and sleep. Thanks to all my family and friends for your loving wishes today, Tree

3 comments:

  1. Way to go babe!!!!! Going to be a long haul but I know the outcome will be POSITIVE as failure has NEVER been an option for US!!!!! You are a rock and am in your corner.Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work, like Rob said long haul, but positive outcome. Love you
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! You are on our prayer list each night we say prayers with Benjamin. All the best! The Parkers

    ReplyDelete