Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Long Tuesday

So, the neighbors finally called it quits around 10:45 last night. I watched tv until midnight or so and then went up to bed. I slept alright but the house was hot and that led to lots of trying to find cold spots on the bed. Today was Rob;s first day back at work after his FMLA leave. We were up by 7:15 this morning. I got the kids out clothes and was able to pull shorts and t-shirts because apparently the heat is here to stay for a few days. I realized when I was offering breakfast this morning that we seriously had nothing to eat in the house. Ellie had cereal but our milk was bad. I made a pot of coffee, poured my creamer and it curdled - out of date. Nick and I walked Ellie to the bus stop and waited with her until the bus came.
We had a relaxing morning watching cartoons - I read the Sunday paper ads. We eventually went over to Mom and Dad's house. Even though it was already over 80 degrees, Nick went straight out to the yard to play soccer. When he came in for a break his head was dripping wet. I played with Nick for a bit but I had to go in because the heat was too much. We went grocery shopping with Mom and Dad. Nick sat in the cart and was a good helper and this was really the first time he indicated wanting certain things - funny thing, they were things he had at school for snack time.
Mom and Dad took Nick to their house after shopping to keep him while Ellie, Rob and I went up to see Trish. I went home and un-loaded groceries - which, I have to tell you, is a terribly slow process when you can't lift more than 10 pounds. I stopped by the bakery to pickup cupcakes to take with us this afternoon. It was Ellie's last session with Trish today and she promised cupcakes last week. About 3 minutes before I needed to get Ellie from the bus the sky opened up and poured rain. Ellie and I shared the umbrella walk home. Rob joined us this afternoon because Trish wanted to talk to both of us about the last few months and then the future.
Ellie wrote Trish a lovely thank you card on the way up. Rob and I sat and visited while Ellie and Trish met and then Ellie got to play with her itouch while Rob and I met with Trish. Trish had a list of phone numbers and program info for us. It is her suggestion that we find someone for Ellie to talk to still. Trish also found a kids yoga program for us to look into and a summer program on mindfulness. We said our goodbyes and walked out to the pond. The swan had her babies over the last week and it looks like there were 3-4. There was also a deer that appeared - it was very serene.
We went to Mom and Dad's to pick Nick up. We visited for a couple minutes before heading home for bath time and dinner. We divided and conquered - I did dinner and Rob got bath time. Ellie came down near the end of prep to help set the table and carry food out to the table. We had dinner and the kids were thrilled because we had ginormous ears of corn and we had cherries. Ellie helped me make strawberry shortcakes for dessert.
Rob and Ellie went upstairs to fill in her monthly reading chart and while Nick and I were cleaning up an ambulance and fire truck pulled in next door. Nick wanted to see it so we went out to sit on the porch for a few minutes. We came in after the truck pulled away and found that our summer guilty pleasure, America's Got Talent, was on. Ellie and Rob joined us to watch some of the show before we went up to bed.
My feet are aching. I am so tired - might actually head up to bed soon. We did throw in the towel and turn on air conditioning today. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about sending you home alone with groceries...didn't think about the weight limit, or the fact that Rob would not be there to help you. It's stored in my memory bank, but this #@#% cold has my mind working a little slower...you might have to remind me! We were not going to get hooked on AGT this summer, but there was nothing else on, and I have to say, along with the usual goofs, there is some pretty cool talent this year! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete