Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Suddenly sad day

I spent part of the night on the couch and went up to bed but couldn't get to sleep - flipped and flopped for about 2 hours. We all got dressed and brushed teeth this morning before going down for breakfast. Ellie fixed herself a snack for school and I flipped laundry loads. Ellie got off to the bus and then I got Nick some more breakfast before we left for school.
I dropped Nick off and then made a quick stop at Salvation - found the kids winter coats for next winter. I came home and straightened up and flipped laundry loads, again. I went to pick Nick up from school and then we went over to Mom and Dad's. We picked up lunch along the way. Tony was sleeping when we got there but we ate lunch on the sun porch while he slept. When we arrived we were met by some terribly sad news - Uncle Bill passed away. Sad on so many levels for our family. He was Rob's playmate and partner in crime. I can't get into all he was right now because I am pretty much still in shock. He will be deeply missed and I am sure it will hit us at various times.
The boys played this afternoon. Mom and I changed a very ridiculously mad Scarlett. I knew from the burning pain that the breakdown was going to be bad when I took off the wafer but it was almost the worst I have ever seen. Bloody, blistered and raw skin. Hopefully, this was dear Scarlett's last change but since she has required daily changes lately I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. The past couple weeks have truly proven to me that Scarlett and I have to end our relationship - we cannot live with each other any longer - its toxic.
Miss Kate dropped by Mom's and she will be working on Thursday - so fingers crossed that she is my gal again. I left so that I could call Trish and give her a heads up and pick up Ellie. I was pretty much dreading telling Ellie. I wasn't sure how she was going to take the news with everything else on her plate right now. In addition to all the stress she has about my surgery, she is all nervous about me not being able to be there for her important events, the fear of a recurrence, she has testing at school this week. I left a message for Trish and I told Ellie as we walked home from the bus.
Death is unfortunately not a new thing for our family. However, most deaths have occurred after an illness and not expectantly. Ellie wondered why the paramedics couldn't have brought him back with CPR. She said maybe if they moved him he would wake up. Trish invited me to be a part of the session today. Ellie caught Trish up her happenings and our news. Trish had picked out a few books for Ellie to choose from to read today. The first was about cancer and feelings and I think Ellie could seriously relate to all the feelings in the book. The second was a book we read when my Grandma passed away - it is by Marc Brown (the author of the Arthur series) and Ellie was familiar with it and also really related to the events of today. Trish and Ellie showed me their breathing exercises and gave Ellie some reminders of how she could handle stress int he next few days.
On to happier news, it is Grandpa GG's birthday today and we were going to meet the family over at their house for some birthday cake. On the way Ellie and I drove through Glencoe and found some good trash in the Spring Clean-up garbage piles - 2 outdoor water tables and 2 boogie boards. We went over to the GGs and it was a happy yet sad time. The kids kept our minds off of events. Nick went to play on the piano and as he sat down to play started singing - I am going to sing you this little song, but it feels so wrong. It's about a little old lady and her may day. Tony had some whoppers in there too - telling Ellie her singing and playing weren't music.
We had cake and sang to Grandpa and then we were on our way home. I put away all the laundry while the kids ate some dinner. We did bedtime and then Rob and I sat on the couch talking about the day. I feel very badly for Rob - he and Uncle Bill got together at least once a week to eat and talked more often than that. They were each others sounding boards for projects. Ellie broke down at bedtime - I feel sad on so many different levels. Uncle Bill always has time to listen to Ellie or to play with her.
Tomorrow I need to get things laid out - clothes ready for a few days for Ellie and Nick. Make sure there is enough food for the week - I need to get breakfast foods and milk. I need to pick up the school registration packet and fill it out - registration is Saturday. I need to put Easter away - I got it all piled up today but I should get it back in the box. I need to change out all our sheets and pack my hospital stuff. I have an appointment with Patricia and I am hoping she loads me up with ear buds. I have to drop by school with Mrs. Bart's teacher appreciation gift.
I will receive a call from the hospital confirming the time for Thursday - I get to eat a light breakfast tomorrow and then clear liquids only until midnight. I should also get a call from the anesthesiologist - fingers crossed for Dr. Szokol again. Thinking about it - I have a bunch to do tomorrow - hopefully everything gets done. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. I don't have T man tomorrow. I know you're bringing Nick over for your appointment with Patricia, but let me know what else I can do to offload you. My debit card has been compromised once again, so one of the next few days will involve a trip to the bank. I can shop for you along the route, just let me know...make your grocery list for me. We'll talk in the morning. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete