Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Body...One Incredible Machine

Yes, Theresa trusted me enough to do another guest gig on her blog. For those of you looking for the quick update, Theresa's surgery went very well, she is in very little pain, thank you Dilaudid, she had been out of bed a few times to use the toilet this afternoon, and she was resting comfortably, waiting for her newly approved tea to be delivered, when we left this evening. This time around, things have gone very well and she looked wonderful today. If you remember, the same could not be said 9 months ago. I am so pleased that things are finally going the right way.

Now, for those of you who tune in for the details...Gary and I got to Theresa's house at 7:15 this morning so that she and Rob could leave by 7:30. The kids were up and Ellie was already dressed and starting to put her lunch together. Nick was also dressed and very excited that there was a new game plan today. I started breakfast for the kids and it was time for Tree to say goodbye and get her much needed hugs and kisses. Ellie's tears started, but we shifted gears and she was able to move on. We curled her hair and she liked it. She packed up her lunch, snack and Mrs. Bart's Teacher Appreciation gift and off she went to the bus stop accompanied by her two fellas. Theresa's friend Christie had left little gifts for the kids to open this morning. Ellie got a little compact with glisten powder and Nick got an orange harmonica. Not only was this harmonica his favorite color, but he is able to do the slide playing quite well, and boy does he love the great sound it makes...thank you, Christie? We got Nick loaded into the car and off to school we went. Nick told his teacher that his Mom had a doctor visit and that he would be staying with us for 2 weeks. I think he will be disappointed.

Gary and I then had a few hours to ourselves before we had to be back to pick up Nick. I have to tell you I was really trying hard to keep the positive thoughts going Tree's way, but inside I was a bundle of nerves on edge. I began a sewing project so I could focus on something else. Much to our amazement, Rob called at about 10:45 to say that Tree was in recovery and all had gone well. Woohoo! He said they told him he could see her in a few hours, and she'd be heading up to her room at around 1:00. I know Tree has been calm and collected this time around, but after her experience in September, I have been a bit pensive and concerned. I was glad she gave in and took the 1/2 doses of Ativan the last few nights and the earbuds seemed to put her in that Zen zone last night...I gave in to a few glasses of wine.

Gary went to get Nick while I continued sewing. We had a nice lunch together and then Gary left for a dental appointment and Nick and I went out on the porch and cracked open the Play Dough. Gary returned, we gathered our things and got ready to go pick up Ellie. Rob called just as we reached the door to ask us if we wanted to bring the kids up after homework to see Theresa, they could visit for a bit, he'd take them home and we could stay and keep Tree company. Really? Was she up for this? Rob said she was. She had been up several times to use the toilet...no, her bowels are not yet emptying, and she wanted to see the kids. OK! Gary and Nick walked down to get Ellie from the bus and I got their after school snack together. Gary kept Nick busy while I helped Ellie with her homework. We were then on the road. There was a true bubble of positive energy in the car. Ellie was so excited. She thought she'd have to wait to see her mom until tomorrow...this was the best medicine for all of us!

Theresa really does look wonderful. Yes, she's always my beautiful girl, but she has good color and she is in a much better place physically than she was 9 months ago. She had snacks there for the kids...they loved it! She shared her little bandage with all of us. I'm impressed at how little coverage there seems to be externally. One of Dr. Muldoon's associates stopped in to see Theresa while we were there. I feel comfortable in sharing that he does not seem to be on Theresa and Rob's top Docs list. He told Tree that she could begin taking sips of liquid. Truly sips. Slow sips. Seems even liquid can cause some bowel spasms and pain. He also explained that she has some internal packing that would be removed as she heals and that the wound dressings should be changed as often as needed. It wasn't until after he left that it kind of hit Tree and me at the same time...if they're going to have to remove the internal packing, when and how do they close the actual wound? We asked the nurse when she came in...this is where
"the body is an incredible machine" part comes in...they don't close it. The body heals itself.. The wound will dry and close up all on its own. How cool is that? It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful our bodies are! Rob left with the kids to go for dinner. Joanna called to say that they were on there way up to see Theresa. We waited for the trio to arrive. I have to say we had some good laughs. Tony was asleep when they walked in, but his TT's voice eventually stirred him and he was pretty happy to see everyone. We all visited for a bit. I made sure Tree phoned the kitchen for her tea. I walked her to the toilet one more time. We could see that she was tired and made the joint decision that it was time for this visit to end. We shared our hugs and kisses and were off.

I want to thank all of you loyal followers for the love and positive thoughts you sent and continue to send to our Theresa.I know she has been waiting for the "new, normal" Theresa to appear, but as I told her last night, she's always been exceptional in our books...I think she will continue to be wonderfully beyond normal. Let's continue to visualize Theresa's speedy recovery, and uneventful convalescence , and the new normal, but truly exceptional, Theresa!
-Paula

1 comment:

  1. Thank God. This was the best news possible.

    ReplyDelete