Monday, May 2, 2011

The final countdown

Insomnia has set in, again. I have been doing pretty good up until last night. It was 2:30AM when Nick came down to get me to come put him back to bed - I was wide awake. I went to bed but was up for probably an hour or so. I woke up this morning to a familiar sensation (unfortunately), that of a leaky barrier. I must have a bad box of wax rings because every change from this box has leaked, needless to say I won't be finishing that box off. I changed Scarlett out and Mom was so efficient in sealing yesterday that the wax was adhered to my skin and didn't peel off. Ellie helped me center the wafer and we tried this change out sans wax ring. I didn't have my powder in the house so there was no build-up and let me tell you I think I am going to be bloody tomorrow.
Ellie took a quick shower before school and I helped her pack her lunch and snack up. Ellie got off to the bus and Nick and I watched in the window. Nick and I watched the rest of the movie he was watching before we traveled over to Mom and Dad's. tony was there today and I think both boys made up for lost playtime. Nick brought a puzzle with him and Tony passed him pieces - teamwork. We did a craft project - made tissue paper colored flowers. We had lunch and then I was overwhelmed by the need to close my eyes. I took about a 45 minute nap and was rejuvenated.
Nick and I came home and got Ellie from the bus. Even thought the sun wasn't out that didn't stop the kids from wanting to play outside. We played outside for almost 2 hours - riding bikes, basketball and the trampoline. Rob came home and took over with Nick -getting him into a bath so that Ellie and I could sneak out to pottery. On our way out of the house I happened to look up and see water dripping from the ceiling. I called Rob down to show him and he said he would take care of it. We had worked to chip away the caulk in the bathroom upstairs about a month or so ago and new caulk was never put in and the water from the bathtub just started creeping through the crack.
Tonight was my last pottery class for this session. Mom will take Ellie for the last couple classes. I wasn't really motivated to do anything knowing I wouldn't get to glaze it but Carol, the substitute teacher, talked me into just playing around with clay. I ended up making a small tile with wildflowers and under glazing the entire thing so that Ellie can just paint a clear coat on for me next week. I really liked the way it came out. Ellie worked on a tile/trivet today. Our sub is really gifted in tile ability and showed Ellie how to make a double layer cut out tile - it turned out very neat looking.
We came home and had our leftover Chinese food from last night and I cut up some fruit to go with it. We let the kids stay up a bit later so we could cuddle on the couch together. We did bedtime and then Rob and I have been sitting on the couch and watching tv.
Scarlett is truly making her point that she wants to be sent packing this week - the burning pain is not fun. I worry that the breakdown might cause a risk for infection on Thursday. My feet are still un-happy and I find myself off balance still. Lower back pain still is present. Honestly, I am a bit nervous about Thursday - not the surgery itself but the recovery I guess. I know what I am getting into but it is just an ultra busy time of the year and I don't want to miss any of the kids important things. Ellie's 3rd grade experience is a week after surgery, Nick's graduation is the following week and at least 3 field trips somewhere in there, too. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. It will ALL be FINE! We'll change out Scarlett tomorrow...take a ring from a new box. I'm very confident that all will go well with surgery and recovery. You're a young, tough chick and you have our undying love and support to get you through. You will be able to get all of the school projects done...we'll figure it out...and remember we have Dad to help us out right now! I love you...go to sleep! Mom

    ReplyDelete