Thursday, September 30, 2010

Full day I am wiped out

We watched the Defenders last night (I am sure it will be canceled) and Rob went up during the news. I finished Nurse Jackie last night - I am so sad that I am done with season 1 and that I will have to wait for season 2 - Weeds is up next - I think it is relative (sort of). Slept well again - I think I am in a good place with sleep - I am scared that Dr. Marsh isn't going to refill my ativan though - I have been on it for almost 5 months and it is only supposed to be a short term drug.
Ellie was up super early followed by Rob and Nick but Nick stayed in our room and finger tortured me and pulled my eyelids back repeatedly asking if I was ready to get up yet.
I got the kids clothing ready and headed downstairs - Rob had packed Ellie's lunch and they were ready to go to the bus stop. I had my bowl of coffee and checked my email - Nick brought me in the newspaper to read. Rob and Nick went outside to play - I took a shower and got dressed and joined them outside. We picked up sticks that had fallen from the tree - these will be turned into hocus pocus wands for the Halloween party. I called to place my initial ostomy order this morning - the samples I had been given are running low and was told that they would need to verify with my surgeon that I had an ileostomy and then I would need to request a referral from my general doctor for ileostomy supplies - seriously? So, the rep took my order but who knows when I will get it - I am frustrated with the system. I did some laundry, made myself a bagel and was off for my appointment with Patricia. I left plenty of time for all the construction but I wasn't prepared for the massive Oakton street detour and the freight train - I still made it relatively on time.
I told Patricia sleep was better but I was having lower back pain - I told her about our bad couch and pillows and how I think I might have been walking or sitting weird to compensate for the ileostomy pain. I laid on my left side for my session today and Patricia concentrated on my back but said she didn't feel any tight or hard spots. Patricia also said my body wasn't sending our flags that I had just had major surgery and that I must have a very healthy diet - I didn't have the ability to communicate my new anti-oxidant rich diet and just said that I try, it has just been a bit harder with the ileostomy. Patricia also addressed my usual areas on my feet and legs and behind my ear. It felt so good - she put the warming lamp by my back and turned the lights low - I really wished I could have given into sleep but it was still so relaxing. After my session Patricia answered some of my questions - how big are lymph nodes - about the size of a pea or smaller. If she knew anything about comfrey root and back pain - she didn't but said whatever works is great. I stopped by the store and picked up some more staphysagria and arnica.
I drove home hoping the detour would be gone but no such luck - had to go way out of the way. I had friends coming over for a visit - I babysat for Meg and Terese when I was in high school and college and now their kids are in high school and college. We had a great visit - I got updates on all the kids and it is so nice to hear that they are all happy in what they are doing. We had some good laughs before they had to leave. Mom and Tony came over (told you it was a full day) because our dear friend Margaret is leaving for LA tomorrow and was coming by to say goodbye. Jo stopped by after work but was tired and Nick wasn't sharing his toys with Tony - so they didn't stay long and went home.
Margaret and Kate came by and we had a wonderful visit - some good hospital laughs and just dumb people laughs. Margaret filled us in on her recent moving adventures. We are very sad to see her leave but wish her luck on her new adventure. Christi and Catherine came by with dinner for us - thanks. I asked Mom to stay for dinner and she called Dad to join us. Rob gave the kids baths - icky, gross smelling kids. Dad came as Kate and Margaret were leaving - he got to give Marg a hug too.
We had a nice dinner together with so many choices - Nick and Ellie were both looking forward to the pink cupcakes and ice cream for dessert. Nick made his own concoction up - taking the frosting and sprinkles from the cupcake and mixing it in with the ice cream and creaming them together. Mom and Dad said goodnight and the kids and Rob went up for bed - its been a while so I am not sure but think Rob might have fallen asleep with them.
I talked to my best friend nurse, Margaret today - I wanted to get the skinny on the port procedure and also schedule my appointment with Dr. Marsh. I opted to just schedule my Dr. Marsh appointment and discuss the whole next phase before scheduling the port. I am doing pretty well other than the back pain when I sit. Visualising my healthy body, my continued healthy recovery and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment