Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Arrgghhhh!

I really wanted this post to take on a more positive flavor...sorry, wish it could be so! I was optimistic this morning. Theresa had posted on facebook that she had ordered oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast. WOW...real food! Called her to find out how breakfast was and she told me she wasn't able to keep it down. OK, maybe it was just too much at one time after days of water and tea. I told her I was keeping Nick this morning so that Rob could come up and have some one-on-one time with her. That I would be up this afternoon for that much needed shampoo. She told me she had already made plans to take a shower and shampoo her own hair. The catheter was gone and the nurses were going to help her make it happen. Great! Rob went up and they had a nice visit. He told me she was just so relaxed, and clean! We had lunch when he got back here and he was very upbeat about Tree's progress. She had ordered soup and ice cream for lunch. I called before leaving to find out if she needed anything...she was throwing up lunch. We had our appointment with the ostomy nurse, Jennifer, at 3:00. Maybe I could just get her sipping hot tea again. When I got to her room an old friend, Terese, was visiting. She's a home care nurse and had seen Theresa's name on the board and kind of freaked. I was amazed at how great my Theresa looked. Good color, back to her pleasant smile and getting in and out of bed on her own to pee. Now I haven't been excited about Theresa peeing on the potty since she was 2 years old...I have to tell you, I did do the pee pee dance for her today. We were all surprised when one of the docs came in to tell Theresa that they were going to send her down for a stomach x-ray just to rule out any problem that could be causing the vomiting. Back to nothing by mouth except ice chips. Arrgghhh! Terese left when the ostomy nurse arrived. We had a very productive learning session. I'll go back Friday afternoon for one more session. Theresa was taking care of her own needs all day...she really hit so many milestones today, I hated to see this stomach thing set her back. I stayed with her until almost 6:00 and knew that Joanna would be stopping by. It's Wednesday and that means dinner at the Henderson house for us. Rob had all of the fixings for banana splits and Gary supplied the broasted chicken. We had a nice meal together. After dinner, I helped Ellie finish her Spelling homework and Gary took Nick upstairs for some quality train time. Rob had clean up duty. Theresa called in her good nights to the kids, we shared our hugs and kisses and departed. Theresa posted on FB that she was back from x-ray and I called her to find out how things were going. She didn't know anything yet...still nothing by mouth. She did get an order for Ativan tonight and we have high hopes that she'll sleep. A doc came in and she said she'd call me back. She did. I heard the sadness in her voice as she told me there is an obstruction in her stomach and they were considering inserting a NG (naso-gastric) tube, and if they did, they'd probably have to replace the catheter too. NO! Again someone came in and she told me she'd call me back. So, as of 8:45 this evening, they are going to watch Theresa overnight. If she vomits again they'll insert the tube. She is to continue nothing by mouth. They may do more x-rays or a scan in the morning. Quite honestly, if there is a problem, let's fix it and get this girl out of there. She was looking forward to her shot of Heparin so that she could get her Ativan and try to fall asleep. I told her tomorrow is another day. We'll move forward and do what we have to do in the name of progress. I'm still hoping for that one normal healing day of recovery for her...you can hope for that, too. There were some very good, positive things that went right today, hopefully tomorrow will bring more of the same.

In closing I ask you to join me in visualizing Theresa's healthy body(with a tummy full of good, nutritious food that she can keep down), a smoother road to recovery (we'll keep repaving that bumpy one she's been on), and a new happy, normal Theresa whoever that may be. Thanks. Paula

P.S. For those of you keeping track, the surgeon was able to use the colon ring in Theresa's surgery. Although approved by the FDA, it's still in trial runs. It is supposed to make for better healing. Let's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment