Friday, September 10, 2010

Guest Blogger...she trusts me!

Tonight I have the task of blogging for a very strong, smart young woman that I have the honor of calling my daughter, Theresa. We always hope that people trust us. Tonight I wish Theresa didn't trust me quite this much. Sitting here trying to put this blog together in my head, I realize she has been doing this for almost 5 months. Incredible! She's managed to post almost every night...through pain, nausea, fatigue, and anger; she sits at her computer every night and takes us along on her day's journey. She always keeps that little edge of lightness to her posts. I am amazed. She asked me to write this post for her this evening because she was worried she'd be too loopy to do it herself. I'm here to tell you that I do believe she would have done a fine job of this herself. Gary and I went up to the hospital to see her this evening. I needed to see her. All day long I felt like a mother hen running around trying to protect her chicks, but one was missing. Theresa looks remarkable. Tired, yes. There was that little quiver in her chin that both of my girls get when they try to keep the inevitable tears at bay. But she kept it together. She was warm...the room was hot. Maintenance had to come to do an adjustment. I got her a cool cloth and it helped. She was very dry and was still unable to have anything by mouth...even ice chips. I brought her some lip balm and she did use it. She showed me her incisions and I am truly amazed at how small the incisions are. The actual tissue removal was done by robotic arms, Da Vinci, ironically. Perhaps it was given an artists name because it does such precision work and still leaves the patient looking like a work of art? Although she is controlling her own pain meds and is doing so easily, she was lucid and true to form, in possession of her sense of humor. We did promise not to make her laugh...she is quite tender, and the laughter although welcome, does not make her happy. My friend Kate, a long time nurse at ENH, was Theresa's nurse this morning and she is going back to the hospital tonight to sleep over with Theresa. She has eased my heart and soul, and I know she has done wonders for Tree's psyche. How do I begin to thank all of Tree's followers and supporters? I keep telling her that what you put out there in life is what comes back to you. She is a wonderful person and I am so proud to call her my daughter. So thank you all...please keep thinking positive thoughts, praying and do check in on her...this is a very lonely road she's been walking down!

Theresa always fills you in on family stuff....like I said, amazing she does this every night! The kids were with us last night. It was a very tearful good bye. After Rob and Theresa left, we had dinner, got ready for bed, and watched a portion of Camp Rock 2...part of Ellie's list of things to do since she knew they would be staying over! After several books and songs, Ellie requested a sleep mask. I truly didn't even think I had one, but she knew just where it was, and it did seem to help her relax. Nick took a little longer to fall out, but they both ended up in their beds until morning. Nick was last up and loudly announced that the sun was in the windows and it was telling him it was time to be up! Gary made pancakes; Ellie added the chocolate chips. Tony and Jo arrived just in time to join in. Ellie got herself dressed and I made her snack. Jo took her to school. We had included Tree's mantra for healing in bedtime prayers last night and said it together throughout the morning. Ellie calls it Mama's poem and is pleased that she's helping to make her Mom stronger. Nick is just along for the ride, but he does go along with us. It is so wonderful that Theresa has such wonderful support at Ellie's school. The classroom teacher, our beloved Mrs. Bart, and the very dear Social worker, Ms. Dullas (sp?), had so many options ready for Ellie today if the work in the classroom proved too tricky today. Again, I am so touched and warmed by people's kindnesses. Jo and Gary took the boys out to the park and for a ride while i stayed home to man the phone. Rob and Kate called in regularly with updates, and much to our relief, they were all very positive and promising. We were all back here for lunch and play until it was time to leave to get Ellie from the bus. Rob called around 1:15 to tell us that Tree was out of surgery and that ultimately, all had gone as planned. We got Ellie from the bus and waited for Rob to get home to take the kids to the Union picnic. Theresa had left notes for the kids on the table...she thought of everything! Ellie was very proud to tell me that she stayed with her class all day and did a great job. I told her how proud I was, and how happy it would make Mom to know she did her best.

So, I now see how once you start typing it just keeps coming. Sorry if I ran on too long. Theresa will have to share her own feelings, mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual, with you as she can sit up and have a few lines removed from her arms. In closing I ask that along with me you visualize Theresa's healthy body, cancer free; speedy recovery, infection free; and a new happy, normal Theresa, whatever that may be! Thanks! Paula

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear things went well! Keep pushing forward. Keep fighting. I know you will. You couldn't have a better guy in your corner to help you fight than Rob. Get well sooner rather than later!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete