Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Stoma fixed - check!

Rob and I watched Parenthood and a portion of the news before I sent him up to bed. I started watching Great Outdoors - love John Candy but ended up slipping Nurse Jackie in and watching a couple episodes - only 2 left from season 1 then I will have to find a new show. We all slept well - with the new bedtime regime - Ellie actually slept in and needed a wake up call this morning. I think she is growing (again - well actually continually) Rob made her 2 bagels and sausages for breakfast. It was supposed to be warmer today so we were able to be back in t-shirts and capris today. Rob took Ellie to the bus and I watched Curious George with Nick.
We had a quiet morning - watched some tv and did some cleaning up. Rob burnt a batch of popcorn for Nick and the smell never dissipated - it still stinks. I have opened windows, lit candles, sprayed the rugs, sprayed the curtains - Mom microwaved vinegar - nothing has helped the long term smell issue. My home health nurse came to "discharge" me - imagine that - my insurance won't pay for her to come out and take my vitals - all she has done. Although, today she became a complete idiot in my books when she asked to see my incision - I pulled up my shirt and showed her the top incision - she was shocked - she had absolutely no idea my surgery was laproscoptic robotic and she thought my incision went breastbone to navel. She then asked what type of ostomy I had - hello she has access to all my info - things she should know. Finally, she asked about my butt - if I had any incisions there or sores. I explained once again that I had laproscopic robotic surgery and then told her the only time I had sores was with radiation - thanks for your help with my vitals but bye-bye. I got to catch up with my girlfriend Lee for a bit over the phone.
The exterminator came over (again) because the stupid little black ants are all over our back room (they were just out a little over a week ago to do our quarterly treatment). The guy was nice enough and whatever he sprayed did kill all the ants that were walking. He also put up moth traps and sprayed outside. Mom came over and we all had lunch together - got rid of most of our leftovers. Nick was invited to a play date at Su'nana's house - Rob took him over and Mom and I went to meet Jen at the hospital.
Jen came and met us and we went up to her exam room. I peeled off my old wafer - which wasn't entirely painful today and the area that was a hot red mess on Sunday wasn't so bad today. It was still red and irritated but looked better. Jen showed me how stoma powder works - looks like talc powder but doesn't leave a residue - she sprinkled it on and then blew off the excess. In between powder applications she tapped this magical barrier wipe on top that locks in the powder - she did about 3 applications before we applied the wafer. Good news - I am healing because my stoma finally went down in size - I am now 1 1/8" - Jen thinks I will probably get to an 1". We tried out the convex wafer with a wax ring but when I sat up my stoma still snuck back in - so now I am sporting a fashionable elastic belt - it puts light pressure on the sides on the wafer "pulling" my stoma out. I asked Jen her opinion about reversal surgery sooner than later - she said to ask Dr. Muldoon but she would not rush it. We thanked Jen and went for Starbucks.
Rob was home when we got back but Nick was still at Christi's playing. Mom and I took advantage of kid free zone and read through magazines. I got a couple ideas for the school Halloween party. Rob went to pick-up Nick and get Ellie from the bus. Ellie did her homework quickly and was promptly outside playing. Jo called to say hi and to let Mom know she had her peppers - every fall for the past few years Mom has ordered a huge bag (like the 25# onion sack bag) of red peppers from Jo's boss. We went out to meet Jo and our pepper bag - can't wait until the weekend to roast peppers. Mom went home and I hit the couch for nap time.
I woke up in time to have a quick bite to eat before heading to curriculum night at school. Our neighbors were nice enough to bring over dinner again - so Rob and the kids were set. I got to say thanks face to face to Ms. Doolas and Mrs. Bart. I got to sit at Ellie's desk and look around at her work - then I learned about all she will experience this year - so much. I came home and Rob was getting the kids ready for bed - he took Nick up and Ellie and I cuddled on the couch.
I am so happy that I don't have some gross infection or that the irritation didn't get worse. I am feeling pretty good other than that - still a bit of arm pain (and believe it or not still a bruise). I go to see Patricia tomorrow - I wonder if there is a point for stoma healing? Visualising my healthy body, my continued healthy recovery and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment